Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Donald

+2
Redrage
Davie
6 posters

Go down

Luke Donald Empty Luke Donald

Post by Davie Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 am

Does anyone here have any thoughts on what might be the problem at the moment with Luuuuuuk?

I've always been a believer in the old adage of "you don't become a bad player overnight" but really he's doing his best to prove me wrong!

OK it's true that he got to be #1 mostly through his brilliant consistency but let's face it he held that #1 spot for around 12 months I think and while steady finishes had a lot to do with it, he WAS backing it up with regular wins too - I watched him at Wentworth the last couple of years and he was magnificent

So where has it all gone wrong for him? He hasn't had any changes of management, he hasn't changed equipment as far as I'm aware and he certainly hasn't sold his soul to Nike for gazillions of pounds

I like the way the world rankings work, even if it maybe does favour someone who is steadier over a longer period of time rather than someone who can shoot lights-out one week then walk off with a pout or toothache the next and I thought Luke thoroughly deserved his time as #1 - but right now I just can't see a way he can get back there

Where will Luke's win come from? Can't see it at Augusta - I've heard Merrion may suit him but it looks awfully long to me - can he get back?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald Empty Re: Luke Donald

Post by Redrage Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:27 am

I like Luke Donald but you can't be as short off the tee as he is in the modern era and hope to be world no 1 for long. Especially when he isn't even that accurate off the tee. You can't give the field as many yards as he does and be playing out of the rough. It puts too much pressure on the rest of his game to be at an optimal level. When he was no 1, everything was going well, every aspect of his game was nearing its peak. He even added a few yards to his drives (he was almost average).
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 am

I think it must be personal, maybe his private life?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 am

Perhaps his motivation and drive is not quite what it once was. He has got 2 young daughters, a couple of beautiful homes and probably as much money as he is ever going to need.

He is nearer 40 than 30 now, maybe he would rather spend more time with the family sometimes than a relentless pursuit back to World No 1?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 am

Interesting that since I posted the original article he got another top 5 finish this weekend - without ever really threatening - I wonder if that will be his thing for the rest of the season (as it was for much of last year)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 am

Give the guy a break - its only the start of the season ...

mind you --- according to you Davie he played c**p and yet he still finished 4th ... so does that make him a failure ??????

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Perhaps his motivation and drive is not quite what it once was. He has got 2 young daughters, a couple of beautiful homes and probably as much money as he is ever going to need.

He is nearer 40 than 30 now, maybe he would rather spend more time with the family sometimes than a relentless pursuit back to World No 1?

I don't think being 35 makes him nearly 40 Innocent

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:42 pm

gwr-golfer wrote:Give the guy a break - its only the start of the season ...

mind you --- according to you Davie he played c**p and yet he still finished 4th ... so does that make him a failure ??????

I think I maybe wasn't clear enough gwr - I wasn't just talking about this season, but much of last season also (he had a couple of wins earlier in the year I think but then faded away)

Also I didn't say he played crap (no swear filter here BTW) - I said, (or at least tried to say) that he just seems to ghost along, with never really threatening but still comes under the radar for top 5 or top 10 finishes - but for a while now hasn't really looked like winning
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Not that we will fall out over it, but like it or not when you are 35 you are nearer to 40 than you are to 30! Luke Donald 3461234324 Luke Donald 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Not that we will fall out over it, but like it or not when you are 35 you are nearer to 40 than you are to 30! Luke Donald 3461234324 Luke Donald 1927768590

Now that's pedantic Smile

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 am

That's fair Luke Donald 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:43 am

'I guess all good runs come to an end eventually. Hugely disappointed to miss my first ever cut in a European Tour event'

Luke commenting on twitter earlier after two very average rounds in Malaysia. His first official main European Tour event was the Irish Open in 2003 so 10 years without a missed cut. What an amazing statistic and one for which he should be very proud.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 am

That does exclude majors though Blue and he missed the cut at last years US Open which counts as an event on the European Tour.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:33 am

Trust you to go pouring cold water on it Mr Grumpy Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 am

Sorry, I thought this was the pedantic thread Innocent

1GrumpyGolfer