Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away

5 posters

Go down

The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away Empty The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away

Post by Mercurio Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away Empty Re: The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 am

Merc - The Mannings Heath Trophy Cabinet gets emptied and then five minutes later you turn up with shiny new bats? Are you sure nobody is going to make the connection? Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away Empty Re: The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 am

Mmmm, they're pretteeee. ilu

No, come on Grumps, you don't need shiny new bats. Your ones work just fine and are plenty good enough to kick Blue's aris' The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Merc - The Mannings Heath Trophy Cabinet gets emptied and then five minutes later you turn up with shiny new bats? Are you sure nobody is going to make the connection? Wink

it's 3 weeks, 1 day and 10 hours later, actually.

Wink
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 am

That's ok then The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 1927768590 The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Mmmm, they're pretteeee. ilu

No, come on Grumps, you don't need shiny new bats. Your ones work just fine and are plenty good enough to kick Blue's aris' The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 3461234324

Sure you don't want to buy some just to make certain? Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 am

Just cos there pretteeee doesn't mean they're effective. Just look at any attractive weathergirl The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 am

Most of them have the right effect on me Grumps! bounce
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I knew you had a type Blue and it would be a good distraction from the task at hand The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Nice looking bats merc, will will you be using head covers to protect from bagbash (Forgings make a terrible noise) or will you be toughing it out so the bats are on view Innocent
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Doc wrote:Nice looking bats merc, will will you be using head covers to protect from bagbash (Forgings make a terrible noise) or will you be toughing it out so the bats are on view Innocent

It's something I've already spent too much time contemplating.

Pro:

Obviously, they will keep their luster longer and have fewer knocks

Con:

More weight to carry (which is contrary to what I'm trying to achieve - I've just bought a 2.5kgs stand bag).

People won't be able to see their loveliness.

I've always thought of people who use iron covers as the kind of folk who iron name labels into their shirts/vests.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Merc I love my Miura's and get some great comments from people who see them. However having them hidden behind a cover is for me. Less clank and the clank sounds like an expensive clank if you're not careful. Every shot means a nice dry/clean with a towel meaning I know I don't have to get them out and sort them later. I find the security element is also good if you leave them outside the clubhouse. Head covers hide them and any thieving git will think twice about removing one to see if they're worth taking.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Doc wrote:Merc I love my Miura's and get some great comments from people who see them. However having them hidden behind a cover is for me. Less clank and the clank sounds like an expensive clank if you're not careful. Every shot means a nice dry/clean with a towel meaning I know I don't have to get them out and sort them later. I find the security element is also good if you leave them outside the clubhouse. Head covers hide them and any thieving git will think twice about removing one to see if they're worth taking.

I understand, Doc.

And it's great that no-one should ever pick up your shirt by mistake in the changing rooms Wink

As it happens, I'm going to have another 3 weeks to think over what I do as I've just received an e-mail from the retailer telling me they have ran out of stock and that the manufacturers have also ran out of stock!

Despite the news being not what I wanted, I still greatly appreciated being kept informed. In addition, the other things I ordered (stand bag, travel bag, Hex Chrome yellow balls) all arrived today. So, http://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk are going to get a big thumbs-up from me The new addition to the Mercurio family is 3 to 7 working days away 1927768590
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm

£710 for 3-Pw is crazy ! I thought Callaway targeted the 300-550 ish bracket in the market.
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am

scarpa wrote:£710 for 3-Pw is crazy ! I thought Callaway targeted the 300-550 ish bracket in the market.

I've never heard of Callaway targetting a price range.

Quality irons aimed at the better players will cost more. I've only gone for 4i to PW so you can knock £80 off that price.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 am

recently bought new irons myself - ashamed to say i snobbishly didn't even consider callaway. its been about 10 years since i properly studied the market (that was only for 2nd hand clubs so i'm probably about 12 years out of date when it comes to knowledge of Callaway irons. back then i'm pretty sure they didn't produce much in the way of top end forged irons as far as i was aware. surprised they're pricing themselves level or slightly above the likes of mizuno and titleist. these were the two oem's i made a bee line for(though i also half heartedly looked at ping) and my new set cost me £675 for 3-Pw including fitting at the national fitting centre. interesting to see the likes of ping with their £1k ansers and Callaway are taking on the traditional big boys of the forging market when he likes of Nike are around £100 cheaper a set!
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 am

The response to the release of the 2013 Callaway X-Forged suggests they know what they're doing.

I'm currently using the 2007 Callaway X-Forged and they're very good, too - I've just got the wrong shafts in them. Rather than spend all that money just replacing the shafts, I've decided to buy the latest versions.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

i'm sure they'll be fantastic. i had a shot of the wilson fg's and they feel very nice - didn't think much of the nike's though.

so, did callaway produce top end forgings pre-2007 then, or have i just been living in a titl-uno cloud ! Smile

is there a significant difference in your new shafts then? my new sticks have the kbs tour-s shafts, which give me a slightly higher ball flight (than the standard dynamic gold s300's)and tighter dispersion(...some of the time). they also feel very smooooooooooth!!
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 am

I played with these irons for the first time yesterday and also played today.

Wow. Truly wow. It feels like I'm cheating.

Longer and straighter and they look even better in the flesh.

These are my first fitted irons and the difference is incomparable.

Unfortunately, my one year-old 'fitted' driver isn't producing the same level of wow which suggests my fitting may not be correct for that club. I'm going to put my old driver in the bag tomorrow along with my current driver to compare.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 am

You'll have to start working out your new yardages and them trusting them. Are they still behaving in the same way Merc?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm

So far the yardages are pretty easy, 1GG - start with what I would have hit with the old set and go down 1 club.

Our 8th, a gradual uphill par 3, was 160 yards on Sunday off the Yellows. My 7i pitched exactly 160 yards.

123 yard uphill par 3 17th. Played a PW, pitched hole-high and it ripped back 15 feet to the front of the green where it proceeded to roll another 4 yards off the front of the green (need to control spin better on that hole, clearly).

The previous day, the yardage off the yellows was 136. I pitched it 138 with a 9i.

All this in chilly conditions - roll on summer!

The lofts are 1 degree stronger which will part-explain the reason I've got more length but what is amazing is that they're a total joy to hit.

I'm able to apply the 'whip' just before impact again without it affecting the quality of the strike. I couldn't achieve that with the old irons/shafts (S300s). I am also able to swing it back on a wider arc (and retain that arc) presumably because the club is lighter.

Try the PXi shafts, fellas. Seriously.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down