Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad Day

+4
1GrumpyGolfer
BlueCoverman
oldshanker
Mercurio
8 posters

Go down

Sad Day Empty Sad Day

Post by Mercurio Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 am

Today was our February Medal. I was out in the first group and, as usual, went into the bar for a post-round drink with my partners. We were in there for about 20 minutes when news came in that one of our regular group had collapsed between the 12th green and 13th tee after a suspected stroke.

We were obviously worried. News continued to filter through that a member was giving him CPR and that a faint pulse was found which was encouraging. The ambulances came and the Pro led them to the scene. I was in touch with the Pro as I am the Medal organiser and I asked him to speak with the Competitions Chairman (who I knew was out there) for guidance on what should happen to the competition as there were still about 9 groups behind the affected group (I was told that it was cancelled).

I asked the Pro for an update and he said that it wasn't looking good as there'd been no movement and the paramedics had used the defibrillator many times. At about 1:25 the news came through that our friend had been pronounced dead at 1:10 by the paramedics.

I've been numb since. I was due to be out in London tonight but, unsurprisingly, didn't feel like it. I keep thinking about watching him putt out on 7, whilst I was waiting on the 14th tee. It's hard to fathom that just 5 holes later he wouldn't be with us anymore.

It hit home that we never tell our friends enough how much we appreciate them.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Sad Day Empty Re: Sad Day

Post by oldshanker Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:57 am

Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend Merc - the man who was instrumental in getting me back into the game after a 20 year break, is at this moment desperately trying to recuperate after a massive stroke. It's a long and very painful business and he has only felt happy having just his family see the situation he is in. I hope he changes his mind soon! I do want to hold his hand and give him a hug, he is a good friend!

We have to make the best of friendships while they are there, it is far too easy to allow them to slip through your fingers.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm

That is horrendous Merc and terribly sad. Must have been awful for those who were there and a great shock for his family, you have my condolences.

My Dad has dementia, diagnosed in 2008 and is at the stage now where he cannot stand or walk, is doubly incontinent and pretty much confined to his room in the nursing home. He can barely communicate and needs assistance to do anything including feeding and drinking. He was a single figure handicap golfer, although he did not take the game up until he retired from playing football aged 37. He had the honour of being asked to be Captain at his golf club in it's Centenary year, a role he fulfilled superbly both on and off the golf course. He was articulate, intelligent and highly successful in business.

I am not in any way being flippant or disrespectful to the dreadful events at your club yesterday. It is such a shock for those left behind when somebody passes away suddenly and unexpectedly and even more so if your friend was a relatively young man and had not been suffering with any health problems.

But I do know for certain that my Dad, given the choice, would have preferred to end his days quickly and suddenly on the golf course whilst playing the game he loved, rather than the painful and undignified existence he has now. I hope that thought may give you and your friends family a little comfort.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am

Merc, that is really sad news and awful for your friend's family and also those there yesterday. It might be a small crumb of comfort that he went doing something that he loved. My condolences to you.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks all.

As BCM has indicated, it's good that he went without knowing anything about it. A dragged-out demise is far more painful for everyone.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 am

Sorry to read about the sad events on Saturday, Merc. Must have been such a shock for his family, and I'm sure that those at the club will also be affected for some time to come.

My Dad had just watched Ireland playing in the Rugby World Cup on TV when he had a massive heart attack, and I have always taken some comfort from the fact that he had spent his final day doing something he really enjoyed. Hopefully, in time, your friend's family will be able to do likewise.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:42 am

Certainly is a very sad tale - my thoughts would be with all who knew him. Must agree with the stories of other people though who talk about passing away doing something they love

When my time comes I can think of worse places to be than playing the game I love (even if it must be hard for anyone else to witness)
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm

I can only concur with most others have said - but it doesn't take away the shock of such a sudden death. How sad.

But as has been pointed out, at least he probably didn't know anything about it. A member of my operatic society who is a great singer and actor was given the lead role in our last show but then, a couple of days after the first read-through when we all met and he was in great form, he had a stroke (he is in his early 50s) and now has "locked-in syndrome" which means his body is paralysed but his mind is still active. It must be hell for him (and his wife) and we think of him all the time. Life can be cruel at times.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 am

The cause of death was chronic heart disease combined with high blood pressure (not a heart attack).
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 am

How old was he Merc if you don't mind me asking, do you know if he was taking any medication to try and control his high blood pressure?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 am

BlueCoverman wrote:How old was he Merc if you don't mind me asking, do you know if he was taking any medication to try and control his high blood pressure?

In his early 60s - 62, we think.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 pm

That is pretty young, I wonder if he had taken tablets to control the high blood pressure he may have still been with us?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 am

Never nice.

Many years ago a young kid I knew was out playing Three Rivers. He walked past a friend who asked how he was doing... Apparently not good as he wasn't feeling great.

Two holes later his heart stopped.

Terrible when it happens and nothing can happen. I believe he was 16 or so at the time.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum