Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 16th @ Scottsdale

+2
Davie
Doc
6 posters

Go down

The 16th @ Scottsdale Empty The 16th @ Scottsdale

Post by Doc Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Although I'm a bit of a purist about golf, there's something about the 16th 'Stadium hole' at Scottsdale which is brilliant. I love watching it and think I could enjoy watching everyone play this hole, rather than swing around the course concentrating on the leaders. I saw it for the 1st time last year and loved it, and couldn't wait to see it again this season, with the crowds baying for blood, the digital advertising boards, the beer, the players reception when entering the arena. Something gladiatorial about it, but all in good fun.

Is there a place for this at more events, even in the 'Open'. It could be just the one hole where grandstands are erected to surround the hole, and seeing the players reaction after walking from the quiet and sedateness of the previous holes, to the complete change of atmosphere entering this. Its almost like getting your players Ryder Cup Ready and a pleasant change.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

The 16th @ Scottsdale Empty Re: The 16th @ Scottsdale

Post by Davie Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm all for modernizing the game and making it more appealing perhaps to the younger generation but IMO I can't help but think that Scottsdale #16 goes just a little too far. The caddy racing was quite embarrassing I thought and although it may be banter and "in jest" I sometimes found it a little too much to hear jeering and even booing when people failed to pull off a shot

No problem with Sawgrass 17 in terms of making it more appealing to lay viewers, and that can get pretty raucous - just thought Scottsdale 16 went too far. Also it seems that the players have no choice - at least with the Bubba and Poults episodes in the Ryder cup where they whipped up the crowd on the first tee, the players were dictating the conditions - I'd like to see more of that, but not of the beer fueled Arizona atmosphere I'm afraid

Interested to see what others think though - am I being too stuffy?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Davie, not stuffy at all because as I said, I'm a bit of a purist too. Although for some reason I really enjoy the stadium hole and don't think it hurts the players. In fact I suspect it could help some get back on track and focus, if they've not been doing too well. don't want to see it at every tournament, but think there's room for one or two more on both tours. It could also be a big cash generator at some events as a larger crowd pays for just the one section of the course. I would say a struggling event sponsorship wise, would have no problems getting endorsed. Why should the yanks have all the fun
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 am

I really enjoy watching the 16th at Scottsdale, but I think that maybe once a year is enough! I fear that if it was replicated at another tournament, others would soon see the £££ signs in front of their eyes re. the income possibilities, and we could end up with a glut of this type of hole/spectators.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:31 am

I love it and, more importantly, so do the players.

But only once a year, please.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 am

How many of us would love to play the hole, as It's now become one of those holes that are now almost iconic. Not Amen Corner yet, or the Road Hole but must be close, and I put it on a par with the short par 3 at Pebble Beach but for obviously different reasons.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 am

I'm wth Davie on this one - I can't stand it. Far too much typically American raucous behaviour, fuelled by too much alcohol (which isn't difficult considering they think 3.5% alcohol is strong!). I'd be interested to hear if the players (in private - no speaking for the sponsors) really do like it - in view of the fact so many of the top players were missing last week.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm

It does make a change.

But only on this hole, please.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content