Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D-Day for Belly Putter

+7
Doc
Jethro
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
Mary_S
LondonJonnyO
SetupDeterminestheMotion
11 posters

Go down

D-Day for Belly Putter Empty D-Day for Belly Putter

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:06 am

The USGA and R&A will hold a joint teleconference on Wednesday announcing a decision on the anchored putter. Cross Fingers

The end is nigh.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

D-Day for Belly Putter Empty Re: D-Day for Belly Putter

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 am

No. The end is just starting. The players have already stated they will take legal action. Which is a joke.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 am

Legal Action ????

Against who ???

If they don't like the rules, don't play......simples.
If they don't play, they can't break the rules.........simples.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 am

I'd better hide all the sharp implements if this happens! Wink Innocent
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

There have been numerous players stating that they will take it as far as they can in relation to being allowed to use them.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 am

Bradley is distancing himself. "I never said I would sue"..
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am

Tiger Woods and 92% of Daily Telegraph readers think it should be banned. The nation has spoken!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 am

Yes but Telegraph readers should be shot on general principles.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:36 am

Much angst it seems from various quarters about the decision

My only beef is why has it taken them so long!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 am

So the putters remain legal, which isn't a surprise, how they are used is being changed.

Some good pictures on the R&A website of permitted and prohibited stroke styles. Looks like Kuchar and Cabrera are okay and the likes of Simpson and Scott will have to change.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Anchoring/Prohibited-And-Permitted-Strokes.aspx

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:39 am

They have clearly become more widespread in the pro game but how many are using them (broomhandle or belly) at club level? I can think of three at our place.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I heard someone say yesterday that many juniors are using them at club level? Seems strange unless they see it as a bit of a fashion accessory.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Doc wrote:I heard someone say yesterday that many juniors are using them at club level? Seems strange unless they see it as a bit of a fashion accessory.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Doc. It's nothing to do with having the yips, it's down to making a statement. Another very good reason for the "anchored" use to be banned. It seems the 14-yr-old Koren lad who has qualified for the Masters uses one.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm

A bit strange really that the long putter has not been more popular in the amateur game, given that 3 out of the last 5 majors have been won by players using them. Is it just because we can't fit them into the back of our cars? And yet when the latest driver comes out that allegedly gives an extra 5 yards distance we all rush to spend 300 quid on it...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:And yet when the latest driver comes out that allegedly gives an extra 5 yards distance we all rush to spend 300 quid on it...
Speak for yourself! I wait until the next model comes out and then look to pick the last one up as a bargain - have you seen the latest price of the TaylorMade R11S now that a new one is on the horizon?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Yes it's really cheap LP, but that is only because the new one hits the ball so much longer and straighter... Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:56 pm

It's amazing how superlatives are overtaken by subsequent events, isn't it? Wink
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 am

It's the wonders of modern science of course... Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:45 am

Doc wrote:I heard someone say yesterday that many juniors are using them at club level? Seems strange unless they see it as a bit of a fashion accessory.

We certainly haven't had this yet, our junior section is not huge but a good number are in the county squads and none of them uses anything other than a standard length putter.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 am

LadyPutt wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:And yet when the latest driver comes out that allegedly gives an extra 5 yards distance we all rush to spend 300 quid on it...
Speak for yourself! I wait until the next model comes out and then look to pick the last one up as a bargain - have you seen the latest price of the TaylorMade R11S now that a new one is on the horizon?

Same here LP. I am in the market for a new 5 wood and even they have been reduced by a decent amount over the past couple of weeks or so. Now I wonder if Ping will follow ...

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 am

There's a couple of long putters knocking about with the old guys at my club. We don't have any belly putters because I think they've all gone past the optimal belly size stage D-Day for Belly Putter 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:There's a couple of long putters knocking about with the old guys at my club. We don't have any belly putters because I think they've all gone past the optimal belly size stage D-Day for Belly Putter 3461234324

Now you know that is complete and utter poppycock 1GG!

It is a well known, medically proven phenomenon: the depth of the naval, increases proportionally with the circumference of the girth. Thus providing the perfect anchor point for a belly putter. The bigger the girth, the deeper the naval, the more secure the anchor. 'Ye canna break the laws of physics Cap'n.' QED

Last edited by oldshanker on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : housekeeping)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 pm

I suppose they could revert to a regular size putter and get the same benefits O/S D-Day for Belly Putter 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:I suppose they could revert to a regular size putter and get the same benefits O/S D-Day for Belly Putter 3461234324

It all depends - in that case length is everything! silent
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 am

Keegan Bradley got heckled at the Tigger Tournament yesterday, being branded a cheater for use of the belly putter. The USGA issued a statement today about it saying it's legal and rules changes relate to the future not the past. They went on to say that nothing will be taken away from those that used anchoring as a putting technique and they deplored the actions of the uneducated.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 am

Outrageous that the galleries should do something like that. It's all OK on a forum like this to jokingly refer to "cheat sticks" etc but not on the course FFS.

The long putters (much as I hate them) are still legal for now
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Typical of the idiots who attend TW events just to shout and scream every time he hits the ball. They know nothing about golf!

Interesting he still calls it a "world" challenge when virtually everyone in the field (apart from GMac, Poulter and Jason Day) comes from the US of A D-Day for Belly Putter 1660402979
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 am

The PGA Tour had a player meeting over the decision last night. Thanks to Kwini for the news. Much ado about nothing is the general consensus of the outcome of the meeting.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/finchem-players-have-meeting/?mid=343&rid=641253&source=email

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't read it as that, Grumps. My interpretation is that they don't like it but don't want to say so in public! Rather a lot of fence sitting going on.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

Sorry, LP badly worded on my part. It was a dig aimed at the media. My point was they had a meeting, but no one would say what was really going on so what was the point of reporting on the meeting. There was no news of anything new so to speak so it was all conjecture, speculation and sensationalism by the press to stir it up again.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 am

I see what you mean ...
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 am

As anticipated the PGA Tour have notified the R&A and the USGA that they are against the ban on the anchored putting stroke. Finchem announced this during the WGC Matchplay final, however it was already communicated to both parties prior to his press conference. Over to you R&A and USGA.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Dim Tim is just a politician and on the one hand he says there should only be one rules body in golf, which have served golfers for over a century, then he says but one slight rule change that not everyone agrees with won't rock the boat. Grow some Tim and bring your troops into line.

I don't see loads of am players over here using the long putters, yet Dim Tim quoted 60% in the USA, and at least 50% of college kids using them. Is that true?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 pm

This will just cause chaos.

Will you need to setup two different world rankings, one with Anchors & one without ??

Would Anchors be invited to play in The Open ?

What would happen with the Ryder Cup, Anchors aweigh ??
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 pm

The R&A and USGA have just confirmed the anchoring ban. Over to you Tim ...

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I just got this email from the USGA:

May 21, 2013

Dear USGA Member:

The USGA cherishes its strong relationship with our Members, and we appreciate the support you provide in helping us lead the game toward a sustainable future. Your membership bolsters the critical mission of the USGA in many important ways and has helped to make the game more enjoyable for golfers of all ages and skill levels.

Recognizing the role that you play in all we do to protect and nurture the game, we want you to be among the first to know about an important announcement.

Last November, after an extensive review, the USGA and The R&A proposed Rule 14-1b, a new entry to the Rules of Golf that prohibits anchoring the club in making a stroke. This morning, together with The R&A, we are announcing the adoption of Rule 14-1b for players at all levels of the game, effective January 1, 2016.

Final approval of Rule 14-1b follows a comprehensive and unprecedented process for playing Rules in which comments and suggestions from across the golf community were collected and considered. In our best judgment and having considered all of the input that we received, both before and after the proposed Rule was announced, we concluded that Rule 14-1b was necessary to protect the essential nature of the traditional method of stroke and eliminate potential advantages that anchoring the club provides.

Throughout the game's 600-year history, the essence of the traditional method of golf stroke has involved swinging the club with both the club and gripping hands held away from the body, requiring the player to direct and control the movement of the entire club. Anchoring one end of the club against the body, and creating a point of physical attachment around which the club is swung, is a substantial departure from the traditional swing. Our judgment, based on tradition, observation and experience, is that anchoring creates an unacceptable risk of changing and reducing the challenge of making a golf stroke.

The new Rule does not alter current equipment standards and allows for the use of all conforming golf clubs, including mid-length and long putters, provided such clubs are used in a non-anchored manner. The Rule narrowly targets only a few types of strokes in which the club is anchored, while preserving a golfer's ability to play with a variety of permissible gripping styles, putter types and swing methods.

The effective date of January 1, 2016, at the start of the next four-year cycle for revisions to the Rules of Golf, provides an extended period in which golfers currently using an anchored stroke may adapt their method of stroke, if necessary, to conform to the requirements of the new Rule.

We know that not everyone will agree with our final decision. However, we hope the new Rule will bring to a close the longstanding, controversial debate about anchored putting and its place in the game. Of equal importance, we hope that those who have expressed concerns know that they have been heard; can understand our reasons for concluding that Rule 14-1b is in the best interests of the game; and will now join with us in assisting any golfers who need help moving to a non-anchored stroke.

Recognizing that you may have questions, and that you may also want to share this information with fellow golfers, we have developed videos, images, graphics and other materials that are available at www.usga.org/anchoring to help you become more familiar with the specifics of Rule 14-b. We have also provided a comprehensive document that explains the basis for our final decision and addresses the primary questions and concerns voiced by those who expressed opposition to the new Rule.

Thank you for your support and passion for the game as we continue to serve all golfers around the world and work to secure the health and traditions of the game for current players and for future generations.

Sincerely,

Glen Nager / Mike Davis
President / USGA Executive Director

For the good of the gameĀ®

Over to the Mars Bar salesmen for a response. Be interested to see what the Champions Tour reaction is.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:48 pm

So the PGA Tour will accept the ban on anchored putting and will implement from January 1, 2016. In a statement they said:

"In making this acknowledgement, the Policy Board also passed a resolution strongly recommending, along with the PGA of America, that the USGA consider extending the time period in which amateurs would be permitted to utilise anchored strokes beyond January 1, 2016."

"PGA Tour competitions are conducted in accordance with the USGA Rules of Golf. However, the Policy Board reserves the right to make modifications for PGA Tour competitions if it deems it appropriate."

This could be interesting seeing as that will be part way through a season. Also, not sure why amateurs should have extra time to follow the rules as I don't think it's like the driver COR rules.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Why would the PGA Tour be interested in what Amateurs do ??

Surely the R&A & USGA will define that.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Clearly the old farts running the PGA Tour can't putt properly themselves.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Maybe just aligning themselves with the PGA so if it comes to it they can break away? Or maybe this is the start of bifurcution by the backdoor or for abandoning the rule later. Pros abide by the ban but amateurs don't have to, like the COR ruling or grooves, pros then say we're going back to anchoring because amateurs still can.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 am

Last I heard yesterday was that Adam Scott is going to law and isn't happy. Well Adam you got a few quid out of your long stick when your game had collapsed, so its not all bad mate. Look at it another way, who would have won the Masters if you had a proper putter
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:48 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:.....bifurcution by the backdoor.....

Ooooh - Errrrrr Missus!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down