Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!!

+2
drive4show
Matelot golfer
6 posters

Go down

Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!! Empty Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!!

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:37 am

Guys,
Some of you will know this but I found this a great way to escape from a plugged/sitting down lie in a greenside bunker every time.

If plugged then take your most lofted club(60'wedge) , hood the club face so it is sitting between 20'-40' degree closed and hit down on the ball very hard. This will cause the ball to 'pop up' and run out by about normally 5 to 10 yards.

We have a few ' road hole bunkers' around my course and this never fails to come out.

In essence it is the complete opposite of having a good lie and laying the face open.

I reccomend you try it next time you practice. It will stop you having on of those famous ' Hamlet Cigar' moments and racking up a high number in your monthly medal next time!! Wave

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!! Empty Re: Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!!

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjk7FQgAsUc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This link to you tube shows how it's done. If the face of the bunker is steeper or you are closer to the face than that in the video, then you will need to hood the club more and hit a little firmer in order to execute the shot. I have played this shot out of bunkers where the lip is above the level of my head. And no I am not a smurf either!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!! Empty Re: Plugged lie in bunker- the miracule out!!

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 am

I wouldn't attempt a shot like the one in the video if there is any kind of face on the bunker. It works fine in the type of bunker shown but that's about all. The bottom line is, if you are in a pot bunker, plugged or not, you need loft to get you out. Even for a plugged lie, you need to open the face and hit down very hard behind the ball to have any chance of getting it out. If you are seriously plugged in a pot bunker then sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and use your first shot to get the ball back to a normal lie so you have a chance to get out with your second attempt.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 am

Sorry d4s, got to disagree with you on this one. This works , try it in a practise bunker, I speak from experience of having to play it from pot bunkers on my course for the last few years.If close to the face or in a greenside bunker it will pop straight up if hit with conviction, you can't afford to pussyfoot it, commit to hitting it hard and it works. I played the shot about two rounds ago. I was about 10 inches from the face of a 4ft riveted bunker and got it up and out. It released by about 10 yds.
I did destroy the lower part of the riveted face though due to being committed and had to explain I had dug a small trench in the bunker to my mate who is the head green keeper!!
For me I find this has a higher percentage chance of coming out than trying to lay the blade open when very close to the face of the bunker.

Last edited by Matelot golfer on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More explanation)

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 pm

OK, we'll agree to disagree. But I'm speaking from a position of authority here, I'm universally recognised as the best bunker player in my family! Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Yeh, ok, I think sometimes it's good to know there is more than one way to skin a cat! If you find something that works that you have struggled with before then it's nice to have an alternative

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Absolutely true! Now, if you can find me a way of chipping off bare lies I'd be a very happy man Innocent

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Aim for the rough!! No bare lies there

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 pm

Matelot golfer wrote:Aim for the rough!! No bare lies there

Laughing Laughing Laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm here all week!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 am

Matelot golfer wrote:Yeh, ok, I think sometimes it's good to know there is more than one way to skin a cat! If you find something that works that you have struggled with before then it's nice to have an alternative

I've heard this idiom many times before but I've always wondered just how many ways there are to 'skin a cat' and why is it such a popular saying?

Good bunker tip though. I was taught / told that if the club comes out - so will the ball.......eventually. Played golf today and got so wet 'it was raining cats and dogs'

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:08 am

Yadsendew wrote:
Matelot golfer wrote:Yeh, ok, I think sometimes it's good to know there is more than one way to skin a cat! If you find something that works that you have struggled with before then it's nice to have an alternative

I've heard this idiom many times before but I've always wondered just how many ways there are to 'skin a cat' and why is it such a popular saying?

Good bunker tip though. I was taught / told that if the club comes out - so will the ball.......eventually. Played golf today and got so wet 'it was raining cats and dogs'

Did you have your Bowie knife about your person so you could test the cat-skinning theory per chance Innocent
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:52 am

NTS

No I am without Bowie knife but I do have an old antique 'Army knife' a relic from the first world war.

I keep it alongside an old WWI Army Jacket.................It's upstairs covering the tank.

To which my grandson exclaimed "Bloody Hell Grandad - You've got a TANK!!"

Shocked I know the old ones are not always the best - but I like it.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Yadsendew wrote: Shocked I know the old ones are not always the best - but I like it.

And in response to this and your post above it complaining about the rain.......

A freight plane was having difficulty maintaining altitude and the pilot ordered the cargo be ejected - all over a West Wales golf course as it happens - to which the locals exclaimed 'Bloody Hell Jones the shanker! It's raining datsun cogs!'

Boom Boom.......
silence
I'll get my coat!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 am

A thought on closing the face in bunkers when plugged.

The reason people advocate closing the face is to assist in digging down enough to get under the ball... but if the ball is plugged that generally means that the sand is very soft and deep enough to allow it to plug in the first case. So all you are doing is giving up control and the ability to hit it fairly high out of a plugged lie.

I do it this way. Open the face of the club way up... but lean a little more forwards. Pick the club up very sharply with a lot of wrist break to open it up further. Then smash down into the sand as hard as you can about two or three inches behind the ball. You are aiming to leave it in there you hit it that hard and come down that much.

What will happen is that you force the open club way down in the bunker and the sand the ball is in explodes upwards and forwards as the club takes it place. It will pop out and roll a bit but also be more likely to hold the green than a hooded clubface.

Much better I think...

Now. To give credit where it's due. That is the way Seve wrote about playing a plugged bunker shot.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down