Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress?

3 posters

Go down

Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress? Empty Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress?

Post by Doc Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

From December we have had courses closed because of snow, ice and frozen greens, and the weather didn't seem to improve for the new season. We were still playing on quagmires from March and then the ground never had chance to dry out before we had the wettest summer ever. The ground is still so wet that even a short shower tops it up again, and even some well drained courses are suffering.

Many of us have goals for the new season including myself, but I've found that lessons with the pro have been affected as we were forever rearranging etc. game time was affected, so that practice/bounce game was cancelled etc, etc, etc. Yesterday I was playing a 4-ball at Hayrose GC in Cheshire, and discovered a nice'ish' track that was borderline unplayable. Seems the club didn't want to close the course because they need the cash, but it was under water in places, and boggy just about everywhere and no run, bounce etc. Almost all the bunkers were GUR, so a bit of a joke. I played quite well, and managed to win with only 28-points, because we all lost balls which were plugged on fairways, or just off the 1st cut. The greens were true though, but no chance of dropping the ball short and running on, so extra club(s) needed to play target golf.

Back in January I paid for a 7-session package of lessons, with the final lesson doing 9-holes with the pro. My final lesson is the 17th of November, because of the cancelled and rearrangements we've both had to work with. I believe i would have progressed a bit further this year, if we had have had a 'normal' weather cycle. Our course is usually open 365 each year, because its well drained and the greens are great, but the course has been closed countless times this year and plenty throughout the summer. It seems we've been closed on average 2 days each month.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress? Empty Re: Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress?

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 am

I'm inclined to think the wet weather might have helped my game as it allows me to stop the ball easier on greens plus get a bit of purchase on chips.

Plus my 3 wood has been a revelation. If I don't cut a stroke off my handicap net year I'll be surprised.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress? Empty Re: Weather & Conditions - Has it Hurt Your Progress?

Post by smithersjones Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 am

super_realist wrote:I'm inclined to think the wet weather might have helped my game as it allows me to stop the ball easier on greens plus get a bit of purchase on chips.

Plus my 3 wood has been a revelation. If I don't cut a stroke off my handicap net year I'll be surprised.

What would that put you off, Super?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 am

I'd be down to 1 Smithers. Well within reach the way I've been playing lately.
The new three wood is almost cheating. Driver is now redundant on going on ebay I think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down