Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet golf clubs

+3
LadyPutt
MustPuttBetter
Jethro
7 posters

Go down

Internet golf clubs Empty Internet golf clubs

Post by Jethro Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:30 am

Does anyone have any experience of internet golf clubs (eg Golf Club Great Britain) and in particular how widely accepted their handicaps are. I have a couple of mates who are perfectly capable players but because they do not have an official handicap we are slightly restricted in where we can play.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Internet golf clubs Empty Re: Internet golf clubs

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:41 am

Jethro, i would say any golf club that refuses to let higher handicaps enjoy the course as much as anyone else probably isn't worth gracing with your money to be honest

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 am

I'm in a similar situation having given up my club membership a couple of years ago when I wasn't playing and now being reluctant to join anywhere because I intend moving from London once I finally retire in 4 years or so and don't want to commit more money to a club (especially in this area where joining fees are still generally expected) before then. However, during my recent Scotland trip, we played a couple of lovely courses (Ballater and Buckpool) and no-one asked for a handicap certificate. I do still carry my old one to prove that I could play the game once if anyone asks. The same went for Tenerife last year when we played Golf del Sur and Amarilla - no-one asked there, either. I think when you turn up wearing the right gear with a decent set of clubs, they know if you are serious or not!

I have looked at these internet clubs which offer to administer a handicap but at the moment don't feel the need to delve deeper. Id' be interested to see what others think.

MPB - I don't think Jethro was saying his friends are high handicappers, just that they don't have handicaps. But I agree with your sentiments entirely.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 am

My experience is similar to LP's. rarely have I been asked for a handicap certificate. Are there many golf clubs about that still ask to see them? I thought that all you had to show these days was a wallet full of cash...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks for the comments folks.

My experience playing some quality courses in the North-West over the summer was that although we were never asked to show our handicap certificates the websites did state this as a requirement and the last thing I would want to do would be to turn up and be turned away.

Some courses are simply too difficult for beginners so I can understand why some courses do set a handicap limit but one of my mates used to play to 12 and the other would probably be off about 20 - lower if he played more often. I was wondering how acceptable an internet handicap would be as an indication of playing ability.

The other reason for asking is that it would be fun to enter some AM-AM competions but I don't know what the situation there would be. I have played in these before where they are not bothered at all and just ask you to say what you want your handicap to me. This is OK if you just want to play golf but the courses are usually not great and the comp is always won by a group of 12 handicappers playing off 28.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 am

Jethro - I finally took the plunge 3.5 years ago and joined a club so now have an official handicap - but I played for years without one and never once was asked

I do understand your concern though - in all those years I was always a little worried about being turned away from some of the better courses I played, but it never happened.

I would think unless you were thinking of a REALLY quality place (Sunningdale, Wentworth, that kind of thing) it really wouldn't matter - as long as your mates turn up looking the part and have basic manners, I wouldn't expect anywhere to turn you away when you turn up with a fistful of cash

As for the AM-AM comps - I'd expect them to want some sort of proof but an internet-club handicap should be just fine for that

Don't you have any little pay-and-play courses near you where you can get a "membership" for 50-60 quid? No reduction in green fees or anything like that but you pay an annual fee simply for EGU registration and the ability to get a "proper" handicap? I know a few places near me where you can get that sort of deal - and even if the PnP places aren't that great you still only play it enough to maintain your h/c and as you are still paying weekly green fees you don't feel like you have to play there more than 3 or 4 times just to keep that h/c active
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 am

I think this is probably the best option Davie, I have suggested this in the past but they both work away so don't get to play much and would be reluctant to play even the 3 games that they would need to keep their handicaps.

They would both like to join the club where I am a member but we are full and aren't even taking people onto the waiting list at the moment.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am

LP, I didn't mean to imply that Jethro and co were high handicappers, just that I can't think of another reason a club may request handicap certificates other than to keep say higher than 18 handicappers off the course

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 am

Internet handicaps are worthless, I wouldn't think any club would accept this as proof of handicap or ability.

I have played at plenty of courses which state that handicap certificates are required. In practice, I have never been asked for my handicap. I assume that if you turn up looking like a golfer this is enough.

I know a couple of clubs which have a maximum handicap limit, eg 24 at Sunningdale. I don't think this is due to snobbery, but because the course requires significant carries off the tee so is too difficult for a beginner. Again, I wasn't asked to prove my handicap when I played there.

As Davie mentioned, I think the best option is to join a public course and pay and play 3 rounds to get an official handicap.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 am

I played Sunningdale recently and wasn't asked to show my handicap certificate. That said, I'm off 17 so get in under their limit but i don't hit it a particularly long way. The caddiemaster asked about our abilities and suggested we play off the yellows. We did, and i didn't find any of the carries too long and played to 16. If someone genuinely does find the carries too long, why not suggest they play off the reds rather than stop them from playing at all.

I think the only reason for a handicap restriction is because the membership doesn't want the 'higher handicappers' taking divots out of the course, playing slowly and all of those other things they think higher handicappers do. Very snobby as far as i'm concerned.

About a year ago i had a day off work and decided to drive over to the Army course in Farnborough as it's meant to be top notch. The guy gave me a tee time and said they had a handicap restriction of 18. I said that was fine as i was 17. He asked to see a certificate and i didn't have one on me. I told him he could look me up on howdidido and he'd see me (i could prove my name) but he was having none of it and wouldn't let me on. Now there was not a sole on the course that day and they missed out on £40 from me. I haven't been back and never will

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 am

Davie - I used to belong to a club attached to a pay and play course near me and they wanted over £800 a year membership which was ridiculous for the standard of course. They would, very reluctantly, accept a "club" membership of £60 but that had to be in "exceptional circumstances" and my not being able to play for 4 years was not considered good enough! If I wanted to play, I had to pay an extortionate green fee as well to play at the weekends amongst all the hackers. That's why I gave up.

MPB - I don't blame you for not going back! How can some clubs be so short-sighted at a time when they are crying out for money, apparently?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 am

LadyPutt wrote:MPB - I don't blame you for not going back! How can some clubs be so short-sighted at a time when they are crying out for money, apparently?

I had something similar happen to me. A few years ago I was back in the UK visiting family in January and the missus said, why don't you go play golf today. I phoned the local club, Kings Lynn and said I wanted a game. Was told okay, 25 quid, what time, I said whenever you can fit me in. Okay, how many? Just me. Sorry, can't do that, singles don't have any standing. Muppet; check the rules book.

Went over to Middleton (sp) instead. Spent about 40-50 quid I think, range balls, greens fee, lunch, souvenir what not of some sort.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 am

Must be a Norfolk thing Grumps. 15 of us were on a golf trip and due to play at Brancaster just along the coast from Kings Lynn. We had booked 7 tee times because of their foursomes or two ball only rule and so they were due to collect a fair bit of our cash.

"I take it that it is ok if we play a three ball at the back as we are an odd number?", our organiser asked the club secretary. "Certainly Sir", the old bugger replied "As long as they only play 2 balls"
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 am

Normal for Norfolk Blue, I think it helps explain the webbed feet and hands too.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 am

I almost decided to go and live in Norfolk (because property prices were reasonable, compared to London) and then we went and stayed for a few days affraid
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 am

Love those four courses along the coast though...Hunstanton, Brancaster, Sheringham and Cromer
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 am

Sheringham, possibly my favourite course. Bloody hard though!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 am

Especially when the wind blows! One of my favourite golf course views from the back tee on the 5th, looking down on the coastline and most of the course...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I played Sunningdale recently and wasn't asked to show my handicap certificate. That said, I'm off 17 so get in under their limit but i don't hit it a particularly long way. The caddiemaster asked about our abilities and suggested we play off the yellows. We did, and i didn't find any of the carries too long and played to 16. If someone genuinely does find the carries too long, why not suggest they play off the reds rather than stop them from playing at all.

I think the only reason for a handicap restriction is because the membership doesn't want the 'higher handicappers' taking divots out of the course, playing slowly and all of those other things they think higher handicappers do. Very snobby as far as i'm concerned.

About a year ago i had a day off work and decided to drive over to the Army course in Farnborough as it's meant to be top notch. The guy gave me a tee time and said they had a handicap restriction of 18. I said that was fine as i was 17. He asked to see a certificate and i didn't have one on me. I told him he could look me up on howdidido and he'd see me (i could prove my name) but he was having none of it and wouldn't let me on. Now there was not a sole on the course that day and they missed out on £40 from me. I haven't been back and never will

MPB, playing off 17 you would be fine at Sunningdale. But I have seen higher handicappers struggle with the heather. The Old course is a bit more friendly but if you have played the New you will know that there are significant carries to reach the fairway on some holes.

As for the guy at the Army course... what a dick.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Fair enough Ray, i haven't played the New but have heard it's more difficult (if less pretty) than the Old. Lovely golf club all round, possibly the best changing rooms i've ever been in. If only i had a spare £50k..... Laughing

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:47 pm

That bit about the Army course is interesting! Never played there although it's not far from me, but I know it is meant to be very good and a society I sometimes play in played there this year. Obviously their handicap restriction doesn't apply to societies as I know for a fact that there were quite a few in the society with handicaps over 18 (some significantly so)

An 18 limit would obviously rule me out though perhaps as Ray suggests, the guy was just being a dick
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 pm

He was definitely being a dick!
Although no mention of a restriction, their website currently says that all visitors must be able to produce a valid CONGU handicap certificate. Fancy themselves much??

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum