Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building your own clubs.

+2
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
6 posters

Go down

Building your own clubs. Empty Building your own clubs.

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I've had a fitting recently as I'm going for a new set of bats so decided to have a little tinker with my old set. I bought a set of Project X flighted shafts and I've reshafted them myself. Got the old shafts out with the aid of a blowtorch and put the new ones in last night. Just need to wait 24 hours for the resin to set then I can cut the shafts to the correct lengths and stick the new grips on. Playing on Sunday so hopefully everything should be ready by then to try them on the course.

Anyone else had a go at a spot of clubmaking? It's been really quite enjoyable and if I end up with a decent set of 2nd clubs I'll be more than happy.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Building your own clubs. Empty Re: Building your own clubs.

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Me and tools are not allowed near each other. Bad things happen... particularly when I have been handed a drill.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Blow torch affraid People would run a mile ....

Those new bats D4S, are they the Ocra's you were thinking about, because if so I saw some last week at my fitters place. Looked really good, especially the blade
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Doc

yes indeedy, think about a combo set of 3-6 in the muscle back then the rest in blades. The blades do look scrummy and would love the full set but really makes sense to mix them up a bit

Orka blades ilu

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm

drive4show wrote:Doc

yes indeedy, think about a combo set of 3-6 in the muscle back then the rest in blades. The blades do look scrummy and would love the full set but really makes sense to mix them up a bit

Orka blades ilu

If you don't mind me asking.. what do you play off H'cap wise. I've been thinking about blades in the shorter irons because I think they look more "right", but was always told they are much less forgiving and should be used only by low single figure players?

(obviously my low bounce 60degree is a blade)
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Bob

I'm off 5. I'm not convinced by all this perception that blades are only for low single figure golfers. You could have a 20 handicapper that strikes the ball beautifully but can't chip or putt to save his life or a 5 hcp that nobbles it round but gets up and down from everywhere. And some of the modern blades are much more forgiving than they were a few years ago.

I'd say go try a few sets and see how you get on, nothing ventured nothing gained.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:48 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Me and tools are not allowed near each other. Bad things happen... particularly when I have been handed a drill.

Was it you using a blow torch to replace a felt roof in the wind at Harwich last week LJ?...the resultant fire destroyed five houses!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Bob I was recently trying all sorts of irons, and even though I found some which were fantastic lookers, it was the results that swung it for me. I saw some Yonex ezone blades and got the horn, as they were by far (For me) the sexiest irons I'd ever seen. I hit the first one right off the middle and the results on Trackman were awesome. It took another 4 shots before I caught it clean again, and after hitting 25 balls the results showed only a 52% succes rate, so sadly had to put them down. I tried other blades too, some with slightly better results and many were worse. So I had to accept that I'm just not good enough, or consistent enough to game blades. So twas into the CB's for me
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 pm

drive4show wrote:Bob

I'm off 5. I'm not convinced by all this perception that blades are only for low single figure golfers. You could have a 20 handicapper that strikes the ball beautifully but can't chip or putt to save his life or a 5 hcp that nobbles it round but gets up and down from everywhere. And some of the modern blades are much more forgiving than they were a few years ago.

I'd say go try a few sets and see how you get on, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Good call.. I have a friendly supplier, and happen to know I'm getting vouchers for his shop for Christmas.. so in the New Year...
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Me and tools are not allowed near each other. Bad things happen... particularly when I have been handed a drill.

Was it you using a blow torch to replace a felt roof in the wind at Harwich last week LJ?...the resultant fire destroyed five houses!

No... I was in Paris with the surrender monkeys.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:17 pm

drive4show wrote:I've had a fitting recently as I'm going for a new set of bats so decided to have a little tinker with my old set. I bought a set of Project X flighted shafts and I've reshafted them myself. Got the old shafts out with the aid of a blowtorch and put the new ones in last night. Just need to wait 24 hours for the resin to set then I can cut the shafts to the correct lengths and stick the new grips on. Playing on Sunday so hopefully everything should be ready by then to try them on the course.

Anyone else had a go at a spot of clubmaking? It's been really quite enjoyable and if I end up with a decent set of 2nd clubs I'll be more than happy.

I did just that LJ, got a set of new Snake Eyes blade heads and swapped the Rifle shafts out of my old clubs. Re-gripped them and took them along to a club fitter to get the loft and lie checked/adjusted to get an even spread.
Very satisfying doing it all yourself and you know it's been done correctly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum