Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro's & Their Clubs

+2
raycastleunited
Doc
6 posters

Go down

Pro's & Their Clubs Empty Pro's & Their Clubs

Post by Doc Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm

This may seem a silly question, but it was something I was thinking about last night when facing a shot that was in between clubs. We all have clubs that have different lofts from 3 to PW as an example, and I appreciate that there are slight variations on the lofts between many of the manufacturers. However I'm guessing that many of the pro's may have different lofts on some of their clubs, for example one may prefer a 5-iron to be a 4.5, or a 3-iron to be a 3.5 etc. They may well have 2 5-irons in the bag, but one slightly different from the other, so that a full shot can be made rather than choking down the grip or trying to swing harder. They all have wedge preferences and carry a miriad of lofts like big Phil likes a 64* in his bag. Am I being a bit thick or trying to over think things (Or would they look at 2 clubs the same but have a different length shaft)
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Pro's & Their Clubs Empty Re: Pro's & Their Clubs

Post by raycastleunited Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

I think pro's aim to have an even spread of distances throughout their set. So that they have for example a 10 yard gap between each club. So if the distance they carry a 7 iron is 175 yds, but a 6 iron is 180 and an 8 is 160, they will probably have it bent a degree or two to get the right distance of 170.

The numbers on the bottom of the club are meaningless. A TM 4 iron today probably has the same loft as an old 2 iron, its the lofts that matter. I would guess it is pretty rare to put two 5 irons in the bag, although I remember Phil used 2 drivers at the Masters a few years ago - one set up to draw and the other to fade.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 pm

I like to use two drivers as well...one to draw it into the crap and one to fade it into the crap! Pro's & Their Clubs 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 am

Blue, when you use a driver it's not a fade or a draw. It's called a slice and a hook Pro's & Their Clubs 3461234324
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 am

Either way Ray it's usually followed by a provisional! Pro's & Their Clubs 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:28 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Either way Ray it's usually followed by a provisional! Pro's & Their Clubs 3461234324

and in between there is usually cursing Pro's & Their Clubs 3497602689

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 am

With me, it's usually a loud shout of "FOUR" then some choice words that would be out of place on this forum.

I think I need now to carry 2 putters with me, one that pushes the ball and one that pulls it, it's just finding one that does one or the other consistently.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 am

You can have one of mine OP, I must have about 30 in the garage that do one or the other! Pro's & Their Clubs 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks, have you got one that is set up for a fade or even a draw.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:34 am

They are all set up to go straight, but they just don't listen! Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:59 am

I think it might be a case to go to the belly putter, or the cheat stick as some people call it, mind you it would be nice to consistently sink 10 to 12ft putts, would make you feel like a Pro.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 am

going back to the original point. A pro, and indeed a 'better' am, will play what gets the job done regardless of yardages. All they want is consistency in terms of shot, yardage and the strike they get.

If that means two drivers, or two five irons so be it!

As many on here know I play my irons a whole club weak from 3 iron down to PW because it suits my game. Others are strong lofted. And although I am playing like a one armed blind man with leprosy eating through his other arm I know that when i hit it right the stick will do exactly what I want.

That's all any decent player is ever looking for.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum