Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter

+8
super_realist
1GrumpyGolfer
venice1
LadyPutt
Mary_S
Doc
MustPuttBetter
Davie
12 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 Empty Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter

Post by Davie Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

A bit short notice I know but I just got notification of this

SportsGuru (the predictions site that the people on the darkside use for rugby pools etc) are running a predictions comp for the Euros

I'm entering anyway but I've set up a Golf Chat league if anyone wants to jon in

The main site is at www.sportguru.co.uk/euro2012 - you'll have to register if you aren't already but it's free registration and it doesn't seem to send too much spam or share your details with anyone else

Once registered (or logged on if you are already registered) you can go to the Euro 2012 section and search for an existing pool - you can search either by the pool name "Golf Chat UK" or by the pool code "byestogs" (without quotes)

Then all you need to do is predict the results! You can make all your picks for the group matches in one hit, though beware, once you've made a pick you can't change it. So if you want you can predict for the 1st round of matches and then wait until you see how they go before picking the rest - or just do all the group matches in one hit

Let me know here if you apply to join too so I can accept your application

Tournament starts tomorrow so get to it if you want to join! I can't see us getting that many entered but you never know, we may get enough to have a bit of fun

Last edited by Davie on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 Empty Re: Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter

Post by raycastleunited Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I was at my dads house yesterday and read the same bizarre comment in the telegraph . Don't get it. Johnson looked our best defender and cleaned up a couple of dangerous situation nicely . Very harsh to blame him for his own goal.

Terry and milner looked so slow. Milner won't be dropped because Roy will settle for a draw on Tuesday, and he is more defensive than theo . Rooney in for Carroll .i can see Rooney getting very frustrated with a lack of service .
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 Empty Re: Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:35 am

It's funny how differently people see things. I thought Johnson was terrible. I was watching the game with a couple of mates and none of us could believe our ears when Lawrenson said he was our best player. I think a 4 out of 10 is generous.
All about opinions hey!

Walcott has to play the next game I think as Milner has sown less than nothing. Walcott is hardly reliable but at least he can provide some threat. I thought Oxlade Chamberlain was unlucky to be left out and Milner stay in as against France they were streets apart

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:21 am

I think that Ray is right and Rooney in for the unlucky Carroll will be the only change.

Which means Milner stays in and we play a bit more defensively and settle for a draw. Dangerous game to play though, Ukraine will be well up for it knowing that for them only a win will do. I predict a nervy night ahead for us England supporters, so what else is new?

BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am

So the show pony has scored two goals and broken Dutch hearts. From what little I have seen of this game the Dutch look a little clueless and Portugal seem to be in control. Nani seems to have forgotten his shooting boots, missed what looked to be a tap in and then on two counter attacks has wasted possession.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 am

I wish England had a show pony like Ronaldo Grumps. Think he'd sneak into our side.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:37 am

Anyone see the sour grapes reaction from the Swedish players after the game. Ibrahimowhatever and Larsson both said they were better team. If so, how come you didn't win chaps? Maybe their reaction is understandable seeing as they just got eliminated but oh dear, what a pity, nevermind, losers!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 am

Without doubt Digs, fantastic player just can't take to him. All the stepovers, hair product and arrogant smirk; just gives me the rational or irrational desire to punch him.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 am

I don't think you are alone there fella. He is not easy to warm to, apparently quite a shy guy and a lot of the posturing and bravado is to disguise that...either that or he's just a tool!
He is top a drawer player though.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Apparently Theo is doubtful for the game tomorrow after suffering a slight recurrence of his hamstring injury. Roy Hodgson said "He had a slight setback whilst training on Sunday"
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Without doubt Digs, fantastic player just can't take to him. All the stepovers, hair product and arrogant smirk; just gives me the rational or irrational desire to punch him.

I'm with you Grumps, never to be forgiven for the wink after Rooney was sent off in 2006
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm

yeah - nasty little winker
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Davie wrote:yeah - nasty little wanker

Think you misspelled that Davie, there I've corrected it for you.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Well spotted Grumps Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 am

So the Group of death produced a high profile casualty last night.

Although the Dutch looked a bit ragged last night as their slim hopes faded, leaving the competition with zero points is pretty harsh. They looked pretty good against Denmark (dominated but inexplicably lost the game) and decent against Germany. They have paid a high price for a slow start, and I can't help feel that if they had been in Poland's or even England's group they would have topped the group.

Looking at the counter-attacking pace of Portugal, I feel they will brush aside the Czech's in the QF and set up a cracking SF with Spain.

Roy must go all out for the win tomorrow to try to top the group and hopefully avoid Spain in the next round.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 am

I see Nick Bendtner has been fined 100,000 EURO and given a one match ban for showing off a betting site's name on his underwear in a goal celebration.

Compare this with some of the recent fines given to whole countries by UEFA for acts of racism etc (45,000 euro)

Priorities wrong somewhere I'd say
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:20 am

Davie wrote:I see Nick Bendtner has been fined 100,000 EURO and given a one match ban for showing off a betting site's name on his underwear in a goal celebration.

Compare this with some of the recent fines given to whole countries by UEFA for acts of racism etc (45,000 euro)

Priorities wrong somewhere I'd say

Depends how you look at it. Bendtner was directly at fault in this instance. He knew what he was doing and presumably it was for financial gain so hitting him with a fairly heavy fine is a fairly action. Not that he will miss the cash that much.
But are fans chanting racist remarks at a ground really the direct responsibility of a club or a countries FA ? They are getting punished by proxy basically. Especially at an international, how does a country really monitor who is getting into a ground at a big international tournament, it must be virtually impossible.
Im not saying action doesnt need to be taken, far from it, but I think the fines are pointless whereas I wouldnt say Bendtners was.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:07 am

I think you could argue clubs are more responsible for the fans but not necessarily countries, especially at the tournament level.

The 1 game ban seems harsh, maybe he should go sit in the stands and wave a big corporate flag.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:48 am

I hear what you are saying Digs; yes he was directly responsible for his own actions, rather than indirectly responsible for a country's football association looking after their own fans.

The point I was trying to make though remains - a big fine for displaying a corporate logo or a smaller fine for countries being found responsible for beting up stewards or chanting racist abuse

Paddy Power must be laughing their socks off at the publicity they've got, but the relative merits of the punishments seem laughable to me
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 am

From listening to some of the Dutch reporters on the radio, it seems that once again there is lots of bickering and falling out within their squad.

I think that Russia have a lot of work to do re. their fans, to get their house in order for hosting the World Cup. Still, I'm sure that the Russian billionaires deposited a thick brown envelope somewhere, so FIFA will tell us that there are no problems.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:03 am

And Italy squeaks through the group stage which usually means they are labeled as poison. The script never changes with this team regardless of the era.

What's going to happen tomorrow in Donetsk? The tension seems to have doubled in the past half hour now. Most experts have said that Rooney will start. Is that confirmed and does it really improve England's chances?

venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 am

Rooney will play. He can link attack and midfield and they need that. I'm sorry, I know he scored a good goal and actually played OK but you couldn't play Carroll ..or Wellbeck..ahead of Rooney.
If we did the Ukraine would be pretty happy about it.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 am

So how are we all feeling about tonight? Must say I'm nervous...

Despite "promises" from the media that they weren't going to go OTT over England this time around there seems to be a certain expectancy about tonight's result (which I don't completely share)

Team news should be out soon - I expect

Hart
Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Cole
Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young
Rooney, Welbeck

though personally I'd probably prefer Walcott for Milner. Certainly expect Theo to come on for Milner if things aren't going to plan and also to see Carroll at some point - also Ox for Young if Young doesn't shine

My fingernails will be in tatters soon!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 am

I stupidly agreed to a meeting this afternoon having seen that my calendar was wide open. It was only after I accepted on behalf of a number of people that I realised why my calendar was open.

Will have live text on and will try and get out to see the second half. I hope the price of drinks has come down a bit.

Have mixed feelings about Rooney, think it could go one of two ways: tries too hard, doesn't score a goal and incurs disciplinary trouble or plays an absolute blinder and ends up being hailed as the messiah.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 am

Looks like the suggested team above has been confirmed - apparently was a close call between Theo and Milner though
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:25 am

Maybe he decided to leave the really attacking options on the bench so he could bring on like for like pace when Young tires and bundles more pace when Milner tires. Carroll coming on could throw his weight around in the box especially if we get some good crosses in.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:07 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:

Have mixed feelings about Rooney, think it could go one of two ways: tries too hard, doesn't score a goal and incurs disciplinary trouble or plays an absolute blinder and ends up being hailed as the messiah.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:19 am

We are all nervous Davie...we are England fans!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 am

Bumpy start - Ukraine looking the better side at the moment but thankfully not threatened too much yet. I'm glad we have Joe Hart in goal though
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

If it weren't for the fact that we have England nerves and the importance of the games, that first half can only be described in one way ..... DULL!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 3461234324

Guessing he's more of the very naughty boy than the messiah at the moment.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:50 am

Even more nervous after that first half! As Davie said, glad we've got Joe.

....... and on cue, along comes the Messiah! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 1071211947
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:52 am

Get in the messiah!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 am

Beaten to it but fuck it:

He is the Messiah!

Cue mass hysteria and predictions to win the whole thing!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:08 am

Lampard retribution!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 am

Platini must be livid Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 am

No doubt Blatter and Platini will now introduce goal-line technology a.s.a.p.! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 2839888827
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 am

The sad thing is that the meeja tomorrow will undoubtedly praise Shrek as the messiah - when in fact Emile Heskey could have scored that and TBH Shrek has been piss-poor so far

So the touchline assistant missed (probably) the ball crossing the line - but the linesman missed the offside also. Justice I'd say
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:40 am

Cue bandwagon jumping. Perhaps we should petition for this to be in the Olympics, we'd win gold medals all over the place.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 am

We're not going home...well not until Sunday at least!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 am

Apparently flights are cheaper if you stay over a weekend Blue

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 am

Another exciting, enthusiastic and charismatic interview from Stevie G Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:50 am

Stevie G Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 906519142

Next up - The Italian Job. Smile
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 am

Mary_S wrote:Stevie G Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 906519142

What will Mr Howell say Mary? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 am

Can I play family fortunes Blue, top things that Stevie G would say:

Errmm, tap in

Errmm, the gaffer

Errmm, worked hard, hard game

Errmm, stuck together, got a result

Errmm, one game at a time

Errmm,

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 am

France is crying because they think the Italians would have been an easier match but no excuses as they lost to a team that had 2 losses. That goal technology they'll be spinning for wouldn't have helped them today. But they like to cry because they're good at it. And they'll be crying harder on Saturday because Spain is a tougher match than what England has to face. But the England defense has to shore up on Sunday or it'll be arrivaderci.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Apparently flights are cheaper if you stay over a weekend Blue

I couldn't cope with being there and seeing us lose on penalties Grumps, it's bad enough watching it on TV! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 398825057
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:02 am

BlueCoverman wrote:

I couldn't cope with being there and seeing us lose on penalties Grumps, it's bad enough watching it on TV! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 398825057

You should try live text then! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 1067764964

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 am

Grumps you forgot:-

Errmm, you're only 16 and pregnant?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:08 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:

You should try live text then! Euros 2012 - Predictions and general chatter - Page 3 1067764964

That sounds like hell! affraid
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Grumps you forgot:-

Errmm, you're only 16 and pregnant?

Forgot

Errmm, watch your car mister

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum