Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing?

+15
venice1
hogie
LondonJonnyO
gwr-golfer
Yadsendew
diggers
MustPuttBetter
ChrisGG
Mercurio
JDandfries
Maverick
oldshanker
Doc
drive4show
Gareth_NI
19 posters

Go down

Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing? Empty Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing?

Post by Gareth_NI Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 am

Self-explanatory really Laughing

Who do you think has the best swing, past or present?...
- Present: Charl Schwartzel (Best ever in my opinion)
- Past: Payne Stewart / Nick Price (can't really remember any of Stewart my Dad thought he was the best ball striker he had ever seen at an Open, I can remeber some of Price, always thought he had a great swing)

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing? Empty Re: Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing?

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am

I find this really difficult, the swings of modern pros are all so similar these days. It seems the days of individual swings are dying out.

But those that do stand out for me are Els and Goosen, both seem so effortless yet both get the ball out there a long way.

Maybe Adam Scott has the best swing from a technical viewpoint?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing? Empty Re: Who Really Does Have The BEST Swing?

Post by Doc Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 am

I agree with D4S and would have to put Paul Casey in there, as he has a swing that gets the job done, when he's firing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 am

Present for me is Els, a timeless fluid swing which is beautifully balanced - what I wouldn't give to have a swing like that.

Past - Tony Jacklin is difficult to beat as are Tony Lema or Billy Casper.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:08 am

Tough to say really! Whose had the best swing for results well Nicklaus or Woods!

Who has the best looking action that's a tougher call.

The balance, poise and consistent tempo of Luke Donalds swing is superb!
The pure consistent functionality of Strickers action
Adams Scott virtually technically flawless

But if I could choose one swing to have Retief Goosen his swing is something I could never get bored of watching
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Steve Elkington!
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 pm

I used to love Monty's swing but now it has to be Rory's.

I was also impressed with Paul Lawrie's swing over the weekend. Talking of which, has anyone hit a greater 3-iron than he did in his play-off Open win?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I think I do... Innocent
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Elkingtons a great shout, shame he's a n arrogant prat off the course.

Always like Frank Nobilos swing, and what about Freddies
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:48 pm

I love watching Ryo Ishikawa's swing

Mav, get rid of the full stop after your name!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Mav, get rid of the full stop after your name!

Shocked

lol!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 pm

drive4show wrote: Shocked

lol!

Well!!...............

This is irrelevant but i want to use it - Shart Fans

Shart fans that emoticon is called - interesting!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am

Probably Donald for me, never seems hurried or off balance. Almost seems like you are watching in slow motion.
Also as he is the same height and build as me more or less his is the swing I always think about when Im on the course to try and keep my tempo.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 am

I always thought the languid fluid motion of VJ was a bit special and made to look easy Cross Fingers
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 am

I really like Louis Oosthuizen's swing, very little to go wrong under pressure and just like Donald he is unhurried with a good temperament.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:47 am

It was Ernie Els

now

Luke Donald

i drool over either swing - such grace and unhurried rhythm

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 am

gwr-golfer wrote:It was Ernie Els

now

Luke Donald

i drool over either swing - such grace and unhurried rhythm

Whereas mine is legs wide apart and swing ..... Embarassed
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:58 am

Darren Clarke.

No nosense. Very little to go wrong. And gives it a bloody good thump as well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:00 am

Must be something in the water in SA with regard to their Golf swings
- Charl, Els, Goosen, Louis even Immelman have all got glorious swings

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:14 am

Will get rid of the full stop soon, had to have it there to register as apparently my name was already in use at sign on!
I like the unothodox style of Villegas
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 am

Ernie, Rory,Sergio, Donald I'll settle to be able to swing it like any of them.... Hell i 'd settle for being able to swing it like Furyk if it would improve my scores. :D

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am

I'll go with Natalie or Paula or Sandra or...

Oops. Wait... I thought I read swingers. Nurse
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:38 am

Maverick. wrote:Will get rid of the full stop soon, had to have it there to register as apparently my name was already in use at sign on!

mav - you can use your super-powers to change it! Just remember when you do change it that's the name you need to log in with
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:52 am

Maverick. wrote:Elkingtons a great shout, shame he's a n arrogant prat off the course.

Always like Frank Nobilos swing, and what about Freddies

My teacher always used to get me to think 'Frederick Steven Couples' in my head as I made a swing. if I got to the top before the end of Steven then I was swinging too fast. Still use is every now and then when I feel I'm getting a bit quick - watching it on video though it looked more like I was thinking 'Bill Haas'

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:06 am

For a little guy who certainly packed a wallop, I always thought Woosie's swing was very simple but effective.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:08 am

Best driver of the ball (when in his pomp) was arguably Greg Norman back in the 70s and 80s.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 am

NST I'd argue Norman continued being the best driver not only in the 70's & 80's but well into the 90's as well.

One of the best drivers of the ball ever IMO.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:02 am

Especially, when you consider he was still using persimmon back in the 1970s. I've got his book 'Shark Attack' on my bookshelf (in which he pays homage to Nicklaus' 'Golf My Way' which I also have), a lot of his advice on set-up, grip pressure and swing fundamentals are as valid today as they were when he wrote the book back in the 1980s. He was one of the few who could hit the Big Dog well off the deck as well. No mean feat with the old style drivers (which didn't have graphite shafts either). In terms of address posture, I don't think many can match him imho.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 am

Shark Attack is on my Christmas wish list so here's hoping in a few days I'll be reading it!

Norman had an outstanding all around game and why he goes down as my all time fave!

Watched him in the Shark shootout or whatever they call it now and he still has it in bundles, talent, game and charisma.

Also worth noting how he played off scratch within a year of picking up his first golf club
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 am

You'll enjoy the book MAV - excellent stuff in there. A lot of people don't give Norman the short-game credit he deserves, but there are some superb short-game tips (extracts of which I posted on 'Dark Side' a while back).
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:53 am

Think it was a Norman tip I read many moons ago that whenever playing pitch shots do so with a relatively narrow but open stance. Something I've stuck with since the day I read it and once of if not the strongest part of my game.

He really did have the all round game just a shame he only won 2 majors but imo an exceptional career regardless and regardless of Gary "man sausage" Player I'd rate Norman as the guy that introduced fitness to golf
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 am

Watching Euro Tour Weekly's round up earlier, Raphael Jacquelin has a beautiful swing.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 am

smithersjones wrote:Watching Euro Tour Weekly's round up earlier, Raphael Jacquelin has a beautiful swing.

Great balance and poise one to watch for hours.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Mav, did you ever pick up Norman's autobiography?

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

I did MPB at yout recommendation as it happens.

Just in middle of reading a really good historical fiction novel at moment and once that's out the way Normans Bio is awaiting
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Good man
You'll enjoy it, a great insight into golf but also businesses surrounding golf study

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down