Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those were the days

4 posters

Go down

Those were the days Empty Those were the days

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 pm

http://www.kirkwoodgolf.co.uk/

Doon, you probably noticed Moira Milton's (nee Paterson) passing on the Kirkwood site yesterday (anyone interested will have to scroll down a wee bit to get this story). Different times eh? Champagne toast to the winner whilst the club steward in starched white livery pours more into the trophy. I think many of today's generation would be very surprised at more 2,000 spectators turning up to watch 'wumin' play the game but that's exactly how it was back then.

That was some Curtis Cup team she took part in though, wasn't it? A team which included Jean Donald and Jessie Valentine.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Those were the days Empty Re: Those were the days

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Sounds to me like spectator levels over the years have remained constant for the 'wummin' as you put it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm

In the amateur game LJ?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I think its probably about time that the ladies game is taken to a different level. The the US ladies game has almost vanished, and the far eastern ladies are dominating the game. It needs to be marketed much better over the pond, because without the yanks the game will disolve and be watered down, making it harder for the european ladies to earn a decent living. If the yanks can't manage that, well maybe someone like Chubby should step in and mass promote the ladies ET, so that all the top ladies play over here. The Koreans will come, its just the yanks that hate to travel outside their own comfort zone, or even state. Our ladies are plying their trade all over the world and doing a scary amount of anual miles. The yank ladies don't seem to want it as much, so have allowed the far east ladies to dominate, but having the USLGA decide to fly all over the globe and not have many US tournaments has hurt them.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I was thinking the summation across the whole thing actually.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Doc, the lpga tour is on the up and up again (at what cost of course, I don't know). I think the koreans et al now realise that if they want to have a lucrative career on this tour, then they will have to learn to speak some english and I think this is now happening. In fact, I don't think their english needs to be very good in order to endear themselves to the american spectating public.

It's ironic that at the very time lpga events were dropping like flies, the LET seems to be going from strength to strength. I think the americans are also coming around to the idea that making the game more global is good for everyone's pocket so I'm quite optimistic about the women's professional game.

Nevertheless, it sure doesn't harm lpga prospects to have a few more homegrown players who are now emerging to challenge the eastern invasion.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:39 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:I was thinking the summation across the whole thing actually.

Fair comment LJ. Team events, in particular, tend to draw big crowds so expecting a decent number at Nairn for the Curtis Cup.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 pm

To be fair the amateur game has seen declining spectators even over the period i've been playing the game. Time was that the county champs would have a set of onlookers... sadly these days that's restricted to friends and family only.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Difference between ladies tours:

ET: cameras follow all the best players and we see some great golf. Becky Brewerton on a poster is because she plays good golf.

US: Camers follow Paula Creamer, Michele Wie's legs and the other babes. Great viewing for some blokes (me included) but we do miss some good golf as we try and catch a glimpse up Paula's skirt.

Maybe if the US tour got another sponsor instead of Hugh Hefner ... Laughing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Gael
I don't really remember her to be honest.
Mind you as a boy I have caddied for two of that team. Jessie and Jean.

Did you have a squint at the average age of the Curtis Cup team. Only a couple of them old enough to drink.
Very impressive team though I would think that they would start as favourites.

C'mon Mr Murray!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 am

Fair enough Doon. I think she had finished competing when I was just getting started but hers was certainly one those names frequently mentioned in golfing circles back then.

Presumably you're referrring to this year's Curtis Cup team? If so, the team's not actually been selected yet, just the squad. Don't know when it will be selected this time around but I would imagine not until the 'Helen Holm' has been and gone. Contrast that with the american team which has already been selected.

This squad's average age is just over 18. Can't be anything else with most of them now looking to (pun alert!) forge a career in golf.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down