Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines

+6
Maverick
1GrumpyGolfer
hend085
LadyPutt
Doc
Davie
10 posters

Go down

PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines Empty PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines

Post by Davie Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 am

No Mav or Kwini-esque review from me - but just settling down to watch the evening's coverage of this

I'm sure there will be comments to be made as this pretty strong US field event progresses

Last edited by Davie on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines Empty Re: PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines

Post by Doc Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Must be a non event without Tiger Laughing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines Empty Re: PGA - Farmers Insurance Open Torrey Pines

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Can't stand the US coverage of just a lot of putts and then adverts, so I can't be bothered to watch. Sorry.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 pm

I must admit I didn't watch too long myself last night. Struggled to get into it for some reason (maybe the reasons you mention)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 pm

The only person they really showed with the driver was Mickelson... i didnt see anyone hit a fairway all night!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 am

Who is this BAE playing in San Diego? British Aerospace must be very proud of him. Kinda reminds me of TNS playing in the Welsh football league
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 am

Davie wrote:Who is this BAE playing in San Diego? British Aerospace must be very proud of him. Kinda reminds me of TNS playing in the Welsh football league

Ah Davie, that takes me back; Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday, they'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions after that victory gives them promotion.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:29 am

Really struggling myself to keep watching the PGA events at the moment! The season openers I really do find a bore! Personally I think the first event that really starts the US worth watching is the Pheonix Open or Waste Management as its now called. Something about Scottsdale that finally signals start of US tour but then its not worth watching again until the Accenture.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Those that played day 1 on the easier north course were able to make hay while the California sun shone. It left those who played the south course a lot to make up on day 2 and the scoring was not quite as good for those playing catch up.

The day 1 differential was nearly 4 shots, yet to see what it was day 2 but all the low scores are coming on the north course with a few exceptions.

79 players made the cut at -2, there will be another cut after round 3 to trim the filed to the top 70 players. Gary Christian, a tour rookie at 40 something, made the cut but needs to go low to ensure he survives for another payday.

Greg Owen another one right on the cut line needs to another solid round to get his payday. If he hadn't rushed putts over the final holes at Bayhill a few years ago his life could have been very different on tour.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:01 am

I must admit I do like the early season US events, probably because I've played a few of the courses, Torrey Pines South being one of them. It's a fairly tough test even if not off the tips like the pros. The rough doesn't look that tough on telly but by golly it is. I was relatively inexperienced when I played it and came away with a revised view on the importance of a fairway lie as opposed to nearer the flag but in the spinach. It's a muni as well so no problems getting on, unlike a lot of the top US courses.

Got to be said though, of the 2 events this week, there's only one winner in terms of the best one to watch....and it ain't in California!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 am

Torrey Pines South does indeed look a fine course. I just don't find many of the participants very engaging (though I'm watching it now anyway)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:39 am

After British Aerospace Engineering yesterday (BAE) the stakes have been upped in the silly name race

Featured player today is HUH!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 am

So both Gary Christian and Greg Owen are looking good to play tomorrow and increase their paycheck.

What is it ith Kyle Stanley? Being lined up by the caddie, should be on the LPGA Tour at that rate. Seems to be working for him in good shape again on 15

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 am

I actually think Pro's being lined up by caddies should be banned my that's just my opinion.

Does look very strange indeed, having said that Kyle Stanley was one of the names I looked at, at the start of the year and fancied as a breakthrough player. He was unlucky at the John Deere last year pipped by Strickers immense shot from the fairway bunker on the final hole. Have to say though Stanley hitting 320yard 3woods down the centre of the fairways is ridiculous! How far these guys hit it now is just unreal.

Would love to play Torey Pines south. May add that to the list. But for now I'll settle with the fact that in just over a week 10th Feb to be precise we'll be off to Fancourt for some golf.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:09 am

Once again, finding it very difficult to watch the climax of this tonight. Stunning looking golf course but the procession of robo-pros and silly names makes it just too dull

Score one for the European tour this week I think
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Agree with Mav about players being lined up by their caddies - should be banned in all forms of the game (pro and amateur). Interesting that Robert Rock seems to be putting better now he doesn't have a caddy lining him up, although he still consults over lines which I don't have a problem with.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 pm

What a collapse by Stanley. 4 shot lead on the tee. Sneds birdies the last after putting his approach to a foot and the lead is 3. Stanley spins his approach back into the water and suddenly it is oh oh. Still can do it, get on and two putt, right? Wrong! Less than 4 foot to win but makes a bigger one to get into a playoff.

It was meant to be for Sneds, big piece of luck during the playoff with a bounce off of a tv tower and another 3 putt by Stanley. Suddenly Sneds is the winner after giving a runner ups interview after regulation play.

Tough day out there by the look of the scores; 5 under the low round with Sneds and player for the future Bud Cauley sharing that honour. Gary Christian and Greg Owen had bad days at the office to end near the bottom of the pile. It was looking relatively good for a nice payday but their worse rounds of the week put paid to that.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 am

I went to bed with three holes left as I couldn't stay awake and assumed he would hold on.

I was having lunch today and thought I'd check the PGA Tour App, just to confirm Stanley won, and couldn't believe what I saw. I then drilled down into his scorecard to see an 8 on the last. This was even more unbelievable considering, just before I went to bed, the commentators had said it was the 2nd easiest hole of the week.

It's all just unbelievable Shocked
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 am

Apparently this was found hidden away under the grandstands at the end of the tournament. Believed to be genuine!

Spoiler:
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 am

Ouch!...nothing like kicking a man when he is down Davie!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 am

Damn, I was hoping the bogus check would have had the tourney's bank account number and barcode at the bottom.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down