Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faldos commentary

+6
Davie
faldono1fan
Maverick
oldshanker
diggers
Matelot golfer
10 posters

Go down

Faldos commentary Empty Faldos commentary

Post by Matelot golfer Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Watching highlights of the PGA Tour this morning. Faldo going 'he's hit that a liittle fat' and 'oops' time after time, only to see the ball end up within 5ft of the hole. He is annoying and so out of touch with what's going on in the modern day game. Yes, he was a great player, great commentator he most definitely is not!!

Last edited by Matelot golfer on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Faldos commentary Empty Re: Faldos commentary

Post by diggers Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:04 pm

He was looking a little bit fat himself. His head is massive these days. I don't find him any more or less annoying than any of the rest of the guys the PGA use, it's the whole format I can't stand.
Less chat more golf please , sadly never going to happen.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Haven't heard any Faldo commentary as I assume it is on Sky sport which I do not take.

However, I would disagree entirely that the comments you have noted he made shows he is out of touch with the 'modern day' game. Poor commentator he may well be, but it is the TV companies (all, not just Sky) constant drive for zero blank airspace, that means we are subjected to a fair amount of 'drivel'!

Faldo et al are in the main commentating to TV pictures, which means they cannot properly see or hear every shot, but they have to comment on every shot as it happens for the viewer, so it is inevitable that they will have to guess and also get it wrong.

I await a severe flaming for standing up for commentators around the world. Embarassed
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Faldo isn't that bad! Certainly no worse that the irritating Torrance or the putrid Miller.

The issue I have is that which matches Diggers the PGA tour have far too many cut to studio moments if they want to have studio chat fine but do it whilst golf is on the screen and not the fat heads of Miller and his cronies.

Also what's with the new Sky studio bit to golfy for my liking! Its nice when they're at live events and you see the course through the studio windows! But to make up a fake of that type of seen is a little putrid imo.

Not sure I like the new analysis area its fine when Simon "whatsit" uses it and will be fine with Denis Pugh but got help us if Mark "Cod" Roe ever gets on it
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Would be funny to see 'Pugh' pipe one off the shank into 'Cods' head from that anal-Aliss area. We live in hope!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:07 am

Another version of 606 and yet another attack on the best golfer Britain has ever produced. It's getting tedious.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 am

Not questioning his golfing ability! Suggest you re read first 5 words in my last sentence of this topic.

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 am

faldono1fan wrote:Another version of 606 and yet another attack on the best golfer Britain has ever produced. It's getting tedious.

I'm with you F1F ... he gets way too much stick in my opinion. Even those who agree he was a great golfer still like to stick in the knives for his other (perceived) transgressions but IMO he is much maligned
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 am

Sorry Davie , nothing perceived, he's not a great commentator IMHO. But that goes for Monty, Torrence and Howard Clark. Just don't think they have the ability on the commentary side. Only person who was better commentator than professional was Andy Gray from football. He then managed to make a pigs ear of it with some crass 'off air' comments. I think Sky footy coverage has struggled to fill his roll ever since. Again though if we all liked the same it would be a dull world so can see why some people think Faldos god, just not for me.

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 am

Don't think he's god just fed up with all the stick he seems to get. I did read all your piece.There are commentators who are worse than him so why single him out? You are right it would be a dull world if everyone had the same opinion.That is why I am fed up of these repetitive threads.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 am

I singled him out because Monty, Torrence and Clarke were not commentating on the golf I was watching this morning. If they had and made those comments then the topic would have read ' Montys/Torrence commentary', well, I think you get the idea!!

Last edited by Matelot golfer on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 am

Mmm.Just seems people want to have a snipe giver the chance. I don't see this level of critiscism aimed at the others you mentioned. Just seems like there is an anti faldo thread every few weeks on these boards.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with any of this statement

faldono1fan wrote:Mmm.Just seems people want to have a snipe giver the chance. I don't see this level of critiscism aimed at the others you mentioned. Just seems like there is an anti faldo thread every few weeks on these boards.

Matelot clearly stated in his OP he was not detracting anything but the commentary style of Faldo. What was he supposed to do write about a commentator that wasn't on air! The beauty of any forum is you can write about what is on your mind at the time and Faldo was on air and he wasn't making a good job of it.

Just because he writes about Faldos commentary does not mean he is slating/digging out/ slagging off sir nick.

Before I'm accused of doing "the same" allow me to say he is one of my 3 all time favourite golfers he was one of 2 boyhood idols I had growing up, I was lucky enough to meet him and had the fortune to play (only 1 hole mind) with him when I competed in the Faldo series as a junior. I think what he's achieved in the game is phenominal amd the the way he did it proves what single mindedness can achieve. All of that beofre I even mention the work he's done to put back into the Junior game with his Faldo series producing the likes of Nick Doughty, Olly Fisher, Rory McIlroy and Yani Tseng. I couldn't careless about his personal life as long as he not shagged my wife it has no bearing on my opinion of the man

BUT that does not mean I have to rate him as a commentator and I don't, his comments this week alone highlight that he doesn't seem to have the knack for it the thing is with his technical knowledge he could be one of the best but unfortunately his timing of his comments just seems way off, if he irons that out then he could be good. Seems US punditry follows the trend of football management the players that did ok but not great make the better commentators (with the exception of Feherty if I get within a mile of him with a rifle I will shoot him, its the humane thing to do oh I'll do Miller to prat!) examples of Chamblee and Nobilo they don't talk to much technique they keep it simple and only try to comment on what's at hand and maybe how they would play it!

Let's be honest though its not just the US networks that commit commentator sin though! Sky have COD Roe who like Fehertwat and Miller needs shooting, they have Monty again great player, very articulate man and a CRAP commentator. They now have Torrance another for the shooting gallery or at least cover him in Canestan and hope he vanishes like the irratiting rash thrush he is!!! Sky's saving grace is when they have the likes of Harmon and Howell on at the big events.

Then there's old Aunty Beeb obviously they have Allis who is an institution and does highly entertain me with his anicdotes and charm nut alas they also have the likes of Mark "Jesse" James who is so dull its no wonder some people who only see golf on the Beeb think its dull! It's a bit like watching a non contact rugby match commentated by by Victor Meldrews even more miserable twin brother! Dull and depressing! However you put a proper game of Rugby on commentated by someone with personality and technical nous and it becomes entertaining no matter how bad the game is!

To summarise what has turned into and early morning rant about commentators in general! From this post alone you should see I love Faldo the golfer and legend he is but I don't rate him as a commentator and I don't have to just because is is britains greatest golfer! Hopefully by digging out the others you can see this thread isn't about just Nick.

Here's an alternative instead of leaping on the Faldos being shot at band Wagon take the thread for what it is, someone stating depsite his record in golf they feel he doesn't cut it as a pundit and offer up others of the same ilk! IMO its too easy to think someone is slating an individiual as a whole instead of accepting the fact that not everyone is good at everything!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 pm

P.s no apologies for spelling mistakes in above rant it's pre 7am and had a poor nights sleep. That's is all....
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Your turn for the early morning feed Mav!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm

I've never really had an issue with Faldo's commentary but in light of this thread I've been paying extra attention to him on the highlights this morning.

I don't see what the fuss is about - he's far and away better IMO than the others in the commentary box
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Davie wrote:I've never really had an issue with Faldo's commentary but in light of this thread I've been paying extra attention to him on the highlights this morning.

I don't see what the fuss is about - he's far and away better IMO than the others in the commentary box
I can, Faldo is bad, Miller is worse. Watching it on mute. By the way Oosterhuis is generally very good and he's in the Sky studio.

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I agree a forum is about expressing opinions, but to see the same thing being dredged out every few weeks is tedious. I know what most people's opinions on Faldo the golfer,human being and commentator are because I have heard them over and over again. Sorry Mav but there are people out there that are very anti Faldo and will use every opportunity to have a dig. Additionally these type of threads have been common recently. Sorry if I have bracketed Matealot with those type of people. I would rather listen to the comments of a multi major winner who knows what it takes than some run of the mill european golfer who barely won anything. Leave you to work that one out! As you say Matealot was voicing what was on his mind at the time. All I am doing is giving my thoughts.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 am

Totally disagree, being a multiple major winner makes him a good golfer but does not make him worth listening too! By that rule you'd have to say Woods or Player know what their on about and worth listening to! Both are awful to listen to! Whereas howell is far better at commentary its not about being technically minded its about building a rapport of sorts with the fan base to make them want to keep listening!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 am

Agree to disagree on that then.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 am

With a name like 'faldono1fan' i don't think you're in a position to call people biased when discussing Faldo.
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 am

Sorry,but when did I call people biased?
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 am

Sorry to say I am not a Faldo fan, but when you put yourself on public display, either on the golf course or commentating on golf, then you are fair game, to take some stick, and I see nothing wrong with that. 18months ago it was all Monty, in the next few weeks it will be all Tiger.

Faldo I am sure is making that much money (think it was $4.2 million last year) that he does not give a hoot about what some posters might say, about him on here, so lets keep these type of post going, and when he puts his foot in it (as he does most weeks) then we should post it on here, I am sure he will cry all the way to his bank
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 am

Post whatever topics you want.I think it's very tedious, but it's a free world. I will continue to put across his good points.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 am

oldparwin wrote:Sorry to say I am not a Faldo fan, but when you put yourself on public display, either on the golf course or commentating on golf, then you are fair game, to take some stick, and I see nothing wrong with that. 18months ago it was all Monty, in the next few weeks it will be all Tiger.

Faldo I am sure is making that much money (think it was $4.2 million last year) that he does not give a hoot about what some posters might say, about him on here, so lets keep these type of post going, and when he puts his foot in it (as he does most weeks) then we should post it on here, I am sure he will cry all the way to his bank

afro

Well put couldn't say it better myself. Couple of classics so far this week:

(Simpson putting from 25feet) "he's made a really poor looking stroke there" as the ball falls into the hole....
(Pre 2nd round talking about Stricker)ue]]"he's built a good repetitive swing and is great wedge player but can't see him producing real low numbers on a long course such as this" Stricker cards a -10, 63.
[b](Simpson driving on par 4)
"Can't see what Webbs hoping to achieve using driver here, he's better off using a 3 wood and leaving himself 90yards to the pin" As Webbs ball finishes 20yards from the pin with his driver.

Sporting Icon yes but by being a broadcaster and sportmans like the rest he is open to criticism. Be interesting how he gets on commentating with the "too" that is Mr exageration Miller tonight
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:02 am

At least he gives his point of view unlike some.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 am

That he does and nothing wrong with that but he gets the basics on commentary wrong
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 am

He calls it as he sees it.Is that not getting the basics right?
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:21 am

No he doesn't get the basics right though. How many times in this event alone has he passed comment or made noise to indicate whats a poor shot only to actually be looking at a good shot! The biggest basic in golf commentary.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am

Any idiot can call a good shot once he/she has seen the result. Some swings/putting strokes can look poor sometimes, but can still get results.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 am

So now all commentators except Faldo are idiots then! And you wonder how it was mentioned your biased toward faldo!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

No. I was accused of calling people biased and being biased because of my user name. Sorry, but it is easy to say it was a good shot when someone stiffs it from 250 yards. All I am saying is that you are bound to make mistakes when you call it as you see it before the end result is known. There are plenty of people that knock Faldo for a variety of reasons. I only remarked that I found the constant digs against him a bit tedious with the same old people saying the same old things. My view is probably not with the majority, but it is nontheless my view.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

Thing is though it isn't constant digs. It maybe that you just are to defensive of Sir Nick. He's a public figure and sporting icon, therefore he will always have things written about him soon it'll be Tigers turn to be ridiculed again and Coco's hopefully he will have a crap year...

Fact is all sportsment will have things written about them it doesn't mean it's a dig though.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 pm

I quite like the way Faldo tries to second guess what the player is going to do and states what he would do. It's interesting when, for example, he sees a player about to play a flop shot and says no he should be playing a low chip and run. He always explains his rationale for his point of view. If the player then executes the flop shot perfectly it doesn't matter, it has just improved my understanding of the shot. Watching on tv it is hard to pick up the contours and the lie, I like the added info and subtleties that faldo brings, even if he calls it wrong from time to time.

Most commentators add nothing to the pictures other than reading out stats that some analyst has prepared for them. Watching a ball roll into the hole and saying "good putt" or watching a wedge finish next to the hole and saying "good shot" adds no value.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:19 am

Mav - aren't those examples you give just typical commentators' curse?

As 1FF says, it's easy for the guys to comment on a shot AFTER it's finished, waxing lyrical about great shots when they see them stop close to the pin - anyone can do that. Faldo comments on what he sees from the stroke, and sometimes it backfires - sometimes a shot MAY be hit badly as he says and still ends up in a good place (we've all done that).

As I've said I'd rather have Faldo than pretty much any of the other US commentators - and most of the Sky ones too!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum