Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away! Look away!"

2 posters

Go down

"I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away!  Look away!" Empty "I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away! Look away!"

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 am

Slow play rears its ugly head again ...

http://www.kirkwoodgolf.co.uk/

Please ignore duff link. Story is below.

Last edited by gaelgowfer on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

"I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away!  Look away!" Empty Re: "I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away! Look away!"

Post by Doon the Water Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am

Cheers Gael
I had to check the Mhairi McKay score before realising it was the younger West Kilbride one!
My daughter played the Orange Blossom tour a few years back. She sold me some shares so she could finance it. They shot up the following months and I don't think she has forgiven me yet!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

"I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away!  Look away!" Empty Re: "I wish I was in Dixie ... Look away! Look away!"

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Aaarggh! Wrong story Doon! I tested it before putting it up last evening. I think I know what may have happened though but here's the article you were meant to read, hence my comment about slow play ...

CLYBURN FAMILY GOT MIXED UP IN A FIGHT AT DIXIE AMATEUR

FROM THE GOLFWEEK WEBSITE

By BETH ANN BALDRY
The Clyburn family’s annual winter golf holiday to the U.S. took a bizarre turn last week at the Dixie Amateur.
According to a Coral Springs, Florida police report, a fight broke out between family members of two players during the first round of the women’s tournament at Heron Bay Golf Club.
No charges were filed, but reportedly fists flew and a driver was wielded as a weapon after a slow-play penalty led to a player’s disqualification. Tournament officials would not comment when contacted by Golfweek, and witnesses have been reluctant to speak. But based on the police report and interviews with the Clyburn family, who come from Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, here is the sequence of events:
India Clyburn, 15, pictured by Cal Carson Golf Agency, was making her debut on the Florida Orange Blossom circuit.
Her older sister, Holly, 20, a Curtis Cup veteran and one of the United Kingdom’s top players, also was entered in the Dixie. India was paired with Lucia Polo of Guatemala and Vivian Gallin of Germany, and the younger Clyburn sister had her mother, Allison, on the bag.
According to India’s father, Paul, the group was warned about slow play at the turn. By the time the threesome reached the 18th hole, the girls were approximately 35 minutes behind the group in front.
Officials determined that only Polo, 16, would receive a penalty. Upon being informed of a slow-play penalty at the scoring table, Polo refused to sign her scorecard and was disqualified.
Paul Clyburn said Polo’s father, Ricardo, cursed at tournament officials and Gallin’s mother before making his way to the Clyburns, who were standing near the clubhouse. According to Paul Clyburn, Ricardo Polo hurled a string of profanities at Allison Clyburn, prompting her husband to demand an apology. Paul Clyburn said he was then pushed by a member of the Polo family, and Clyburn pushed back.
Ricardo Polo took the head cover off of his daughter’s driver and, according to the police report, began to lash out with the club. The elder Clyburn said he threw a punch, was jumped on by Polo’s brother/caddie Diego and ducked to avoid the flailing club.
According to the report, India Clyburn was struck in the upper right leg and incurred a bruise. “All I was trying to do was dodge this driver,” Paul Clyburn said. “It was whishing about.”
Lucia Polo, contacted by phone at the family’s residence in Greensboro, North Carolina. where she trains at the Precision Golf School, would not comment. A message left with the family was not immediately returned.
Holly Clyburn, who eventually finished fourth in the tournament after jumping into the first-round fray trying to protect her younger sister, said India was badly shaken.
“She was just crying and couldn’t settle down for two hours,” Holly said.
The Polo family left for the parking lot and Paul Clyburn followed before a tournament official urged him to stop, saying a pro-shop worker had called 911 (the US equivalent of 999). The Polos departed in a dark-colored SUV before Coral Springs police arrived.
Dave Salerno, tournament director of the Dixie Amateur, was listed as a witness in the police report. When Golfweek tried to reach Salerno for comment, he declined through a ClubLink spokesman.
Paul Clyburn signed a waiver of prosecution, according to the police report. He told Golfweek that he declined to press charges, in part because of living overseas.
“If we were from the United States, of course we would have done it, no problem,” Clyburn said.
Lucia Polo recently won the Peggy Kirk Bell Girls Golf Tour Fall Invitational with rounds of 70-72. She tied for seventh at the Doral/Publix Junior Classic.
Paul Clyburn said it wasn’t until the next day that he noticed a large bruise on his back and felt soreness from the incident. He is in Sebring this week with his two daughters, who are competing at the Harder Hall Invitational. Polo did not enter.

Nice story about Mhairi McKay though!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 pm

I did see it, Gael bit of a scary situation. Mind you I know first hand how 'protective' the parents of golfing girls can be.
I find the Kirkwood golf site is great for ladies golf news/ and the odd bit of gossip!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:58 am

Doon, whilst I certainly don't condone the father's actions, his frustration is perhaps understandable given all three were likely to have been slow! It just seems to be the way they're taught these days. That said, I'm just assuming the player singled out for punishment must have been the slowest.

Indeed, I'm given to understand the professionals don't even start to think about what kind of shot they're going to play until it's their turn so, if the amateurs are now doing this as well ...

Let's face it, with free coaching and grants being made available to promising amateurs, most of them are looking to the pro scene for a career now. I'm sure you would have noticed on the Kirkwood site that Kelsey McDonald (Nairn Dunbar) had announced her intention to turn pro next year (presumably on completion of her Stirling uni degree).

I pity the Polo girl though. With a father like that, who knows what pressure he places on her shoulders. Indeed, when I read the article I immediately thought of Sean O'Hair.

As I'm sure you know, the Curtis Cup is coming to Nairn this year. I think I must be the only member who's not looking forward to it and I'm not just referring to the eleven days the course will be closed! I attended the last one when it was held in the UK (at St. Andrews) and was disgusted at the length of time the players from both teams took to play their shots.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:08 am

Gael
I have just finished reading Gary Wolstenhome's biography.
Slow play by amateurs is one of his main complaints.
Quite an interesting read. I would certainly recommend it to the young thrusters who think that they are good players, he had a hell of a record 20 years playing for England.
Looked like an expensive gift from said daughter until a wee birdie told me that she bought it from the pound shop.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:19 am

PS

....and she probably read it first!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:46 am

... he had a hell of a record 20 years playing for England.

He did indeed Doon. Trouble is, I wonder what proportion of his success was attributed to gamesmanship! He was an arrogant so and so to boot. I know this because I've been on the receiving end of it!

Still, on learning just how impoverished he had become, I was glad that he managed to find a new career for himself on the senior pro circuit.

PS ... I might just check out the local pound shop btw. Wink

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:27 am

He has been pretty impoverished neary all his life, despite the fact that his mothers parents were mega rich in his early life.
He had a compulsive disposition which I think made him appear unpleasant.
The book is a bit of an ego trip but he was also harshly treated by the EGU and the R&A.
It is well titled 'The Long And The Short Of It.'
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 am

He had a compulsive disposition ...

Aye ... compulsively arrogant! Laughing

Son of Guy of course who enjoyed a decent tour career.

Doesn't surprise me if he felt harshly treated by the EGU and R&A. If he spoke to them in the way he spoke to me at the European Stroke Play, he should consider himself fortunate he still made it into their teams!

Perversely, I think he would make a decent commentator. On the few occasions I've heard him (on the Golf Channel?) he came across as being quite sensible.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum