Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye Bye Stephen Hendry..

+2
Davie
diggers
6 posters

Go down

Bye Bye Stephen Hendry.. Empty Bye Bye Stephen Hendry..

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 8:54 pm

...you were a truly class act. Not an easy man to love but a true great of his sport and not one ever given to BS. In his interview last night they were talking about where he stood in the game and his answer was to use a Tiger Woods quote, basically saying if you are part of the conversation for who is the best ever then you have done pretty well really. Very true.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Stephen Hendry.. Empty Re: Bye Bye Stephen Hendry..

Post by Davie Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 pm

It's an interesting question over where he stands in the history of the sport

I used to be a massive snooker fan (back in the 80s when it seemed to get wall-to-wall TV coverage - and the sport seemed to have more characters back in those days. I must admit I don't follow the game anymore and couldn't tell you who half of the top players are these days

I used to play a little, my father was quite a useful player in his youth and his father was a big name on the amateur scene in the North West many years ago - he once beat the great Joe Davis 2 out of 3 in an exhibition match and the local league trophy is still named after him

So, I have fond memories of all the great names up to around the mid 80s I guess - probably just as Hendry was starting to make it big.

Not having watched much after that, is he really comparable to the champions of the 70s/80s and before that? I suspect he may be but I genuinely don't know and would like the opinions of anyone who knows the current crop of players as well as the old time greats (Davis, Taylor, Reardon, Spencer, Higgins etc)

Of the players I have seen and remember, Steve Davis would probably be top of the list
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 pm

You go back pre 70's and it was almost a different game. Long, long matches played over several days, as much about endurance as anything. Centureis werent that common in the 70's even and now they make them for fun. But is the safety game as tight as it used to be, probably not ?
Since Ive started watching which is from about 79 onwards (which was about the start of the true pro era, Crucible and all that) and the two real greats have been Davis and Hendry and Id probably shade it to Hendry myself but not much in it.
My own favourite was Higgins, used to play on my 6 foot table as a kid watching the world champs, loved it when he won in 82. Clearly as Ive grown up and found out what an unpleasant man he was I dont hold him in such high esteem as I did when I was 15.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 pm

I too used to enjoy snooker on TV (I started out watching it in black & white as well - could tell the different "colours" by the shades of grey!) but lost interest when the "characters" disappeared or more likely the game was swamped by rather boring youngsters. Wasn't too keen on Hendry at the time as he was a bit colourless as a youngster but agree he was a fantastic player. Glad to see him bow out when he chose to (although that was a rather crushing defeat last night) and not go on and on being as has-been.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed May 02, 2012 11:15 pm

It's not really bye bye Hendry though is it?

There's the pundit job he'll no doubt get. The exhibition matches. The 'comeback' as he gets his enjoyment back. The line of branded products that he will endorse.

Basically knackered sportsmen never die. They just sell shredded wheat on tv.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Old snooker players never die. They just take a long rest...
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I dont think Hendry is that kind of guy LJ though I agree with your point in general. He has never been one for adverts particularly, get the impression he doesnt have a lot of time for all the trappings of success and fame.
In many ways an archetypal dour Scot but with a wry sense of humour, must admit I have warmed to the bloke over the years.
I think most of the work he will be doing now is over in China, apparently he has a few business investments over there. Hard to believe the Chinese wont completely dominatet he game in 10 years time, if not sooner. Sheer weight of numbers will prevail in the end.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed May 02, 2012 11:52 pm

He's often on Talksport with Andy Goldstein and he comes across very well indeed, despite looking like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed May 02, 2012 11:54 pm

I think Ben Dirs wrote an article or blog about Hendry on the BBC website recently. Think he, Hendry, came across very honestly and made no secret of his desire to win and be the best. Thought it was a little unusual for someone to come out with that, I know they all want to win but in general aren't as forthright as Hendry.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon May 07, 2012 7:48 am

Come on Ronnie, can't warm to Carter at all. Ronnie is clearly mental but when he is on it probably makes the game look easier than anyone who has ever picked up a cue.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum