Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The return of Thierry Henry

+8
BlueCoverman
MustPuttBetter
ChrisGG
hogie
1GrumpyGolfer
drive4show
diggers
Davie
12 posters

Go down

The return of Thierry Henry Empty The return of Thierry Henry

Post by Davie Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:49 pm

So it seems that Arsenal really have offered Thierry a 2 month loan deal before the MLS league starts again in the USA. Good thing or not?

Seems Thierry has been training with the Arsenal squad for some time now and Arsene has obviously seen something he likes.

Thierry was a true legend of Arsenal and I'd hate to see him back as a shadow of his former self. Many are saying his "legs are gone" but I don't believe Arsene would sign him again, even on loan unless he's seen something worthwhile

Whether he'll play much (assuming he agrees to the deal) I don't know but it would be great to see him back in the Gunners' colours one more time
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

The return of Thierry Henry Empty Re: The return of Thierry Henry

Post by diggers Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:45 pm

His pace has definitely gone, I'd say the premiership is the last place he should be. Hope I'm wrong though as the guy was a legend at Arsenal. TBH though even if it's not a success I don't think it will change any Arsenal fans view of Henry.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 am

I consider him one of the all time PL greats, not just for his football but also his sportsmanship. I'm a Saints fan, he could easily have down for a penalty in the first few minutes of the FA cup final against us but he stayed on his feet and tried to score.

Or maybe it was arrogance on his part as he knew Arsenal were going to win anyway Innocent

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 am

Would have been straight red for Lundevarm too. Saints fans were great at that cup final, I was at the opposite end and you could clearly hear the chants of "Yellooo"

Sportsmanship wise I wonder what our Irish friends would have to say about that? Double handball to keep the ball in play before crossing it for the goal that knocked Ireland out of the playoffs.

I was fortunate enough to witness some great TH moments: weaving his way through against Liverpool; charging the length of the pitch to score against Spurs and then celebrating with his THFC supporters club.

There was always the charge that he didn't show up for the big games, I think he was unlucky in the FA cup against Liverpool as they played 2 or 3 goalkeepers. The one that really stands out for me is the Champions League Final against Barcelona, great one on one chance deep in the second half that probably would have won it for Arsenal had he scored.

Should he come back? Maybe, I hope he would perform well in Arsenal colours again and that he doesn't spoil the memories.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 am

Yes, the incident agianst Eire was very out of place for him, I was disappointed to see that because he had always been so fair and sporting up until that point. A spontaneous reaction or deliberate cheating? I think it has to be the former unfortunately Crying or Very sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:14 am

Well, he did go and find the biggest and ugliest Irishman to apologise to. Richard Dunne, a guy that if he wasn't playing football would like he should be tarmacing driveways.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:42 am

Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat.

Lets have a game of guess my nationality Wink

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 am

drive4show wrote:Yes, the incident agianst Eire was very out of place for him, I was disappointed to see that because he had always been so fair and sporting up until that point. A spontaneous reaction or deliberate cheating? I think it has to be the former unfortunately Crying or Very sad

Err the first hand ball may have have been spontanious, the second hand ball to get the ball down on to his foot was anything but, and the celebration he had after was just plain disgusting...Permenantly tarnished his image for me. Gillette can sure pick em... Tiger, Henry.... just makes you wonder what Federer has been up to Rolling Eyes

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:38 am

hogie wrote:Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat.

North Korea?
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:57 am

I'd put Henry as the second best player to have played in the PL after Cantona

But I'd be surprised if he played much for Arsenal this time around. Chamakh isn't a world beater but has never been given a real run and must be a better bet these days than Henry

Can't see how having him around on loan can do any harm though so a no lose move in my opinion

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 am

ChrisGG wrote:
hogie wrote:Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat,Cheat.

North Korea?

Damn you rumbled me, yes it’s true I am reincarnate Kim Jong II, the greatest golfer of all time.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:06 am

hogie wrote:
drive4show wrote:Yes, the incident agianst Eire was very out of place for him, I was disappointed to see that because he had always been so fair and sporting up until that point. A spontaneous reaction or deliberate cheating? I think it has to be the former unfortunately Crying or Very sad

Err the first hand ball may have have been spontanious, the second hand ball to get the ball down on to his foot was anything but, and the celebration he had after was just plain disgusting...Permenantly tarnished his image for me. Gillette can sure pick em... Tiger, Henry.... just makes you wonder what Federer has been up to Rolling Eyes

hogie

Congratulations, you are the first to spot my deliberate mistake. It should of course have been latter scratch

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:14 am

hogie wrote:

Not the compulsory military service for Swiss citizens that is for sure...a long standing back problem saw him excused that? scratch
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
hogie wrote:

Not the compulsory military service for Swiss citizens that is for sure...a long standing back problem saw him excused that? scratch

If that's his biggest crime I'm sure the people of Switzerland can live with it. They would probably rather he was going about becoming the greatest tennis player in history rather than wasting a few years in the forces.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:41 pm

Always really admired Henry - va va voom - but the Eire handball incident did somewhat alter my opinion.

However, "going back" very rarely works, unless you're Dr. Who, and I do think it would be shame if the memories of his great performances in the PL were tarnished by having to watch him struggle.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:08 am

hogie wrote:
ChrisGG wrote:

North Korea?

Damn you rumbled me, yes it’s true I am reincarnate Kim Jong II, the greatest golfer of all time.

Surprised you're not winning the winter eclectic
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 am

Oh i am leading, currently 18 shots for 18 holes but I still think I can improve Laughing

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I'd put Henry as the second best player to have played in the PL after Cantona

But I'd be surprised if he played much for Arsenal this time around. Chamakh isn't a world beater but has never been given a real run and must be a better bet these days than Henry

Can't see how having him around on loan can do any harm though so a no lose move in my opinion

"After Cantona".........absolutely MPB, I remember in 1992 my team, Sheff Weds, just missed out on signing good old Eric before he signed for Leeds and look what happened after that scratch

Henry was a wonderful player but I hope he doesn't do a 'Patrick Vieira' when he returns the PL.

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009/04/30/video-eric-cantona-on-trial-at-sheffield-wednesday-in-1992

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Looks like the Henry deal has gone through and he will be eligable to play against Leeds on Monday.

I'm not expecting any miracles from Thierry, but I do expect him to be a very good acquisition for a couple of months
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:07 am

I'm expecting my team Leeds to get a thumping from Henry, and Walcott will kill us on the flanks, and a 2nd string 11 from the Gunners will probably see young Oxlade Chamberlain make us look pathetic. Sad
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 am

Apparently, Oxlade Chamberlain went off injured during a reserve match mid week - not sure how serious it is. Not sure Walcott will feature against Leeds and I expect Thierry to start on the bench. Arshavin could be the one to do you damage Doc - it's about time he pulled his finger out and stopped acting like an extra from Lord of the Rings
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 am

My money would be on Leeds getting a result...draw maybe...against the Gooners but getting spanked at Palace the week after.
When people talk about a defender having a player in their pocket it really could be true with Arshavin. Mega talent, largely unfulfilled. Mind you he will probably turn into Messi in the summer.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:53 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Leeds turned Arsenal youths over to be honest and I reckon Henry might start

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

To be fair we've beaten Man Utd and had good draws against Arsenal and Spurs, as well as being unlucky against Liverpool, who had to bring Torres and Gerrard on to make sure they beat us.

The league is another thing though, and ken Bates is bent, robbing crook who's milked the club dry. So looking like another season in the lower leagues, whilst Bates buys a new yacht and fills his offshore accounts ....
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 am

Was there any milk to be had Doc? I thought the udder was already empty.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:26 am

The "udder" what diggers.

Coat ... now, where is it?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:02 am

Oh now I really wish the Roy Keane was still around playing. I can just imagine him taking Henry out and with the Frog (will that get me an 8 match ban I wonder?) writhing in pain with his broken ankles pointing in the wrong direction Keane standing over him telling him exactly what he thought of the hand ball.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 am

I'd love to see Roy Keane back too - just to see someone smack that nasty face of his. Maybe Wenger could persuade Vierra back to do the job
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm

The French would have won that play off anyway I reckon

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Fairytale stuff last night I suppose. So glad for him that he isn't returning to tarnish his reputation. Even if he doesn't do much more for the next 6 weeks, I suppose the decision can be vindicated on last night's result.

I'm not expecting him to set the world alight and I know it's only short term, but his effect as a talisman if nothing else should be worth it
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Was very nice to see him score last night, though personally I was hoping Leeds got something from the game.
Saw him chatting to Walcott on the bench and looked like he was giving him advice. I hope Theo listens, he certainly needs to start doing something different.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 am

diggers wrote:The French would have won that play off anyway I reckon

I don't know why people people play sports we should just have diggers decide the outcome of everything and save a lot of time.

I'm not sure if you know but the penalty for deliberate hand ball is a red card what makes you so sure that a 10 man French team would have come back and beaten Ireland? Just to remind you that Ireland were leading one nil on the night and if I remeber rightly the was about 10 minutes to go in extra time.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 am

Hogie , the part of my thread that says I reckon is the clue that it's my opinion. I was watching the game and that's what I thought.
People love to fixate on particular fouls or cheating as being more important than others. I wonder how many times Dunne grabbed a French strikers shirt in the box during that game? How many fouls were made during the game? If a ball had hit an Irish defender in the box would they go and point it out to the ref and say you know what that was probably a penalty mate.
Of course not, Henry saw an opportunity, he took it, it happens. The amount of whinging after the game was laughable quite frankly.
But hey that's just my opinion.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 am

And by the way I felt the same about the hand of god goal. If that had been say Lineker doing the same I'd have been more than happy.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Can't agree with you there Diggers...it might be over 25 years ago now but I still think that Maradona should have
been shot for that! The return of Thierry Henry 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 am

The penalty for deliberate handball is not a straight red!!
Any handball must be deliberate or its not handball, therefore by that logic, any handball is a straight red?? Err, no

Handball stopping a goalscoring opportunity is a red. Not handball in the other teams area?!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 am

I stand corrected, it is not a straight red, but even if the cheating Barsteward was allowed to stay on the pitch. Ireland and France had played for 200 minutes of football and the score stood at 1-1 so I just can't see how diggers "Reckons" that the French would have won the match anyway. Were they fitter and would have out played us during the last 10 minutes. Were they better penalty takers? Maybe it was their wonderful team spirit that would have unified them an got them through? err maybe not I think we all saw what happend to them in the finals that they cheated their way into.

So diggers please feel free to educate me on why you "reckon" that "The French would have won that play off anyway"

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 am

And still whinging about it now.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:59 am

Hogie, a simple question for you. Do you think an Irish player has handballed and got away with it in say the past 10 years? Id imagine that the answer to that is yes, lots of times. Please tell me the last time you saw a player stop and admit they had handled the ball? Never maybe?
Footballers cheat, Irish footballers cheat, it's part of the game. Live with it.
The reason I think they were going to win is that even on the wane they were a better side with more quality.
I could of been wrong but we will never know. Hey ho.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 am

Didn't Roy Keane come out and say (paraphrased a little bit) Stop moaning you bunch of whingers, you got a penalty in an earlier qualification match that was never a penalty and I didn't hear you say "oh no we shouldn't have got that. Let's have a rematch."

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 am

Every footballer cheats wheter it is hand ball, diving or holding a players shirt. Yes even the Irish ones. That in no way changes that fact that I felt cheated by Thierry Henry... and i will make no apology for standing on my soap box and broadcasting to the world that Thierry Henry is a cheat.

GrumpyGolfer, yes that is prety much what Keane said, and I knew that when I wrote the earlier post, but I couldn't resist the parallel between his hatchet job on Alfie Haaland and what I would like to see happen to Henry.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 am

Hogie, I think I get what you mean. I loved the Roy Keane but he's been to my house rant in his book.

It's like how Michael Owen used to go down quite easily in the box to win penalties, great when it was for England but when he won one for Liverpool against your team you were pretty upset.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:07 am

I really don't think anyone cares bar bitter and twisted Irishmen. Henry has had a great career and for the most part played the game in a better spirit than most pros.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 am

Grumpy I am a liverpool fan so never had a problem with Owen going over in the box when he got the pen.

Diggers, no arguement, Henry had a great career but one of the defining moments of his career was the Handball against Ireland.... A similar scenarion to Zedan... Again a great career but I'm afraid when I think if Zedan the first think i think of is the Headbutt.
It's not all negitave, when I think of Pele, Beautiful game comes to mind. Maradona, it is that goal against England where he just walked through them. Though i have many English friends who understandable only think of the hand of god goal.

Just as a matter of interest what are you thoughts on Elliot Saltman... should he be forgiven or will he always be classed as a cheat?

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 am

I don't think comparing cheating in golf and football are seen in the same light. Cheating in football is down to the ref to sort out and everyone trys to bend the rules and partisan fans will accept cheating if it's their boy doing it.
In my mind probably more people cheat at golf than most would imagine but the default position is from everyone that it's bad to cheat.
I'm happy to give Saltman a second chance though, I think everyone deserves at least that.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum