FOOTBALL TALKING POINTS

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FOOTBALL TALKING POINTS

Post by Davie on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Splitting this topic off because of the 20 page limit...

The Suarez topic could run and run!
Davie
Admin

View user profile http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: FOOTBALL TALKING POINTS

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 am

Yes Mary I have lots to say about Steven Gillespie! We were hugely excited by the prospect of Steven Gillespie when we signed him from Cheltenham Town, (where John Ward was the manager) for a club record fee of £400,000 in 2008. As you say he had broken Robbie Fowlers goal scoring record for schoolboys in Liverpool and he had a decent scoring record at Cheltenham especially in the previous season. The dreamers amongst us hoped that he would spearhead our attempts to regain our position in the Championship.

However, right from the start his time with us was dogged with injury. He seemed to be forever out injured and on occasions when he did return to the team he would often break down with a recurrence of another injury problem. It was very much a stop-start situation and so much so that the fans nicknamed him 'sicknote', somewhat unfairly perhaps.

In the four years that he was with us he scored 25 goals in 98 games and when he was fit enough to get a run of games in the side you could see his obvious talent and his natural goal-scoring ability was apparent. Whether his young body had been slightly damaged by too much football in his formative years which caused excessive injury problems as he pursued his career in adulthood who can say. I would suggest that as a possibility but plenty of people play a great deal in their youth and do not suffer those sort of problems, so maybe Steve was just unlucky.  

Certainly John Ward still has faith in him, Bristol Rovers are now the third club that Steve has signed for whilst John is the manager in charge. Steve used to play a bit of golf at the club where I am a member and I spoke to him a few times. As he approaches the latter part of his career I do truly hope that he stays fit and if he does I am sure that he will score a lot of goals for you.

Last edited by BlueCoverman on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the info, Blue - very interesting. Fans think we looked better yesterday when he came on as sub, but yet again it was JJ who rescued us with a goal to secure the point!

JW will not budge from playing 1 up front, so is playing people out of position all the time - fingers crossed that it won't send us out of the league.

Liverpool were certainly quick off the blocks again yesterday. The prem is much more interesting with a number of teams in the mix for the title - I'm hoping that Arsenal will do it, but I think that Wenger might live to regret not signing Daxler.
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am

JJ to the rescue again then Mary, I'm still disappointed that we let him go! JW can be a bit cautious in his approach but I'm sure he has got enough years in the game to keep you up, I certainly hope so.

I only saw the highlights of the Liverpool game but what a blistering first 20 minutes it was. I did think a few weeks ago that this could be Arsenal's year but now I'm not sure after a crushing defeat like that they will be able to recover sufficiently enough to win the title.

Our home game was called off again on Saturday, we haven't played now since 18th January and still have 20 league games to play. We are due to play at Port Vale tomorrow night, it will be pretty much two games a week now right up to the end of the season.
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

A good win for you tonight Mary...that man JJ with the vital goal again!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Great result Blue - 13 goals so far this season, we'd already be down and out without JJ! I think he's set a target of 20 for the season.  

Looking forward to Arsenal v Man Utd tonight - Arsenal to bounce back after their heavy defeat at the weekend.  Cross Fingers 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:28 am

That's a great number of goals from midfield...currently our top goalscorer is striker Jabo Ibehre with 6!!

David Moyes said after the home draw against Fulham at the weekend "that's as bad as it gets". Could it just get a bit worse tonight as Arsenal look to put the Liverpool game behind them?
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Well that looked like a fairly dull 0-0 from what I saw of the highlights, bit surprised to hear the Arsenal fans booing at the end though!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:46 am

Boo'ed their team off when they're 2nd in the Prem - you have to laugh! You didn't miss anything Blue, it wasn't exactly a re-run of the Keane v Viera days.

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm

So Blue, are you taking Mrs Blue out for a romantic meal tonight or are you taking her on a romantic trip to the County Ground?

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:08 am

What do you think Grumps?  

We are out at a posh restaurant with champagne on arrival, a 4 course dinner and live cabaret. We are being entertained by a guy called Dean Ager who, allegedly, is the UK's finest Rat Pack tribute act. I'll get back to you on that one! What are you up to, are you and Mrs G out or are you still snowed in?

I am in the good books at the moment. The kids are on a hiking holiday in Wales with their Explorers Group at Easter so I've just booked 5 days in Marbella for Mrs Blue and I while they are away. And I've finally got round to ordering her new car, a Range Rover Evoque which (hopefully) will be ready for delivery in time for her birthday in March.
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:31 am

Me and Mrs G are pretty much snowed in. We had a foot of snow during the day yesterday and then another 6 inches of snow overnight. The wind has been quite strong so it's drifted in places, looks pretty but will be a bitch to get rid of. The good news is that it won't snow today, the bad news is that it will snow tonight, then Saturday/Sunday, and Tuesday/Wednesday. Looks like it won't snow after that but that might be cos the forecast doesn't much further...

You must be whistling a DaftPunk song all day right about now; how long will you be able to keep riding this amount of goodwill

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:43 am

Hopefully long enough to break the news about the weeks golfing trip to Tenerife in June with the boys...
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:11 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Hopefully long enough to break the news about the weeks golfing trip to Tenerife in June with the boys...

... and suddenly, all becomes clear!  Innocent 

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 am

She loves me really Mary!  
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 am

What would have been better Blue, 0-0 after a sending off in a wet and windy Swindon, or a night out with the missus? Be honest now....

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 am

That's a tough one Grumps... Wink
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Another one for JJ then Mary...only another 6 to go!!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I have lots to say about Steven Gillespie...I am sure that he will score a lot of goals for you.

Well he is off and running and his first gets you a very decent point Mary!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:I have lots to say about Steven Gillespie...I am sure that he will score a lot of goals for you.

Well he is off and running and his first gets you a very decent point Mary!

We'd be relegated by now, if JW hadn't brought your cast-offs on board!  Innocent 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 am

We might be relegated without them!

Just back from our 1-0 defeat by Sheffield Utd. We didn't manage one effort on target tonight! 
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Looks like you need to win a couple of those games in hand Blue. Nothing worse than getting dragged into the relegation dog fight at the end of the season.

How did Sheff Utd look? They seem to have had some decent results lately, with Nigel Clough in charge.

Man Utd looked a shadow of their former selves - SAF certainly knew the right time to bale out didn't he!

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 pm

We definitely do Mary. Before the break for the bad weather we had been on quite a good run of form which had lifted us to the relative comfort of mid-table. We then didn't play for nearly a month and since then we have only taken 1 point from 12 which has made everyone a little nervous. Not getting easier anytime soon, the leaders Orient away are next up for us this coming Saturday.

They looked quite decent to be honest. No doubt bouyed by an excellent cup run and with a more than reasonable chance of a semi-final place at Wembley, I think that last night's win was their sixth consecutive victory. A late penalty was the only difference between the two sides but it would have been an injustice to them if we had hung on and denied them the full 3 points. They attacked with purpose and pace, qualities with which we were sadly lacking and their defence kept our strikers extremely quiet.

I've never been a Man U fan, but David Moyes is one of few British managers holding one of the top jobs in the Premier League and for that reason alone I hope that his fortunes turn around.
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Many rumours flying around today, including the NYSE being informed Moyes is fired .. bookies have him in to odds-on favourite to be the next PL manager sacked (from 11/1 yesterday)

First found that out from a retweet from Mary .. thank you Mary!
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm

David Moyes has just told his players that they will definitely be appearing in a European Competition next year, even if he has to write the song himself!  
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Blue - hope that your boys get the three points today!  Wink 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:37 am

That was the plan Mary, but it didn't quite work out like that. Pleased to get a point in the end, 2-0 down with less than 20 minutes to go that was looking fairly unlikely!

Anyway what were your boys doing allowing Southend to sneak back to Essex with a point last night?  Wink
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 am

A good comeback Blue, the City fans are not happy with only one point!  Twisted Evil 

It sounded as though my boys were doing very little indeed, although JJ managed to get booked again, so yet another suspension for him. Ward continuing with his defensive tactics, and playing people out of position. No 

Highlight of the week was the Judge throwing out an appeal against the planning permission for our ground to be developed as a Sainsbury's supermarket. We already have planning permission for a new ground, at the UWE site, so this can now go ahead. Just hope that it won't be hosting Conference football!  Innocent 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:51 am

Sneaked it on penalties then Grumps!!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:24 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Sneaked it on penalties then Grumps!!

cheers 
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 am

Wasn't pretty but got the result in the end. Saw your boys hung on for an important win today too.

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Rovers lost 0-2 to Torquay, who are bottom of the league and virtually relegated. This leaves us hovering only 1 point clear of the drop zone, with an away trip to Pomey next week.  Crying or Very sad 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Sometimes it's harder to play those teams because they have nothing to play for and they play with a lot more freedom. Keep the faith Mary, positive vibes for the next game.

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Sometimes it's harder to play those teams because they have nothing to play for and they play with a lot more freedom.

He should know Mary, he is an Arsenal supporter after all! Mind you looks like they might just sneak a trophy this season!  
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 am

Good win today Blue. Looks like goal difference will keep you up

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 am

Monday 28th April could be (should be?) St Totteringham's day Grumps .. hope you're ready for it Smile
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 am

Absolutely Grumps still buzzing from a fantastic game and a brilliant atmosphere this afternoon. Amazing that we saved our best performance of the season for the last home game and with the added pressure of our league 1 survival at stake. So happy that we are staying up.

And a great result for your boys today Mary! And you've probably pushed our old arch-rivals Wycombe back into non-league!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 am

Glad it went very well today Blue, I thought Brentford might suffer a promotion hangover and you managed to bang in a few goals to boot.

We should turn over Newcastle as they seem to want the season over already and then St Totteringham's day will come again and a bit earlier than last year.

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sun May 04, 2014 6:09 am

Mary! Oh no!!!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sun May 04, 2014 7:18 am

No words, sorry Mary Hug 

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 am

Non-League football  Crying or Very sad  Only one team gets automatic promotion from the Conference, so it could be a long road back. I started off watching non-league football, supporting Bath City with my Dad - now we are only one league above them. We can't really complain, we've gone close for a few seasons, a bit like Russian Roulette!

The beans are now being spilled regarding the off-field activities of certain players, one of whom suddenly disappeared from the club a couple of months ago. I hope that the club is going to have a good clear out, some of the backroom staff included.

Blue - I think that JW may go anyway, as his wife has been unwell for some time. He was the only "suit" who was brave enough to come down to the pitch to speak to the protesting fans yesterday - fair play to him. No doubt JJ will be gone by August.

Oh well, looking on the bright side, Salisbury away is almost like a home game for me!  Innocent 

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Mon May 05, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm sure JW is hurting as much as anyone Mary and I'm sorry to hear his wife is unwell. A decent bloke and it's a great shame that what will probably be his last job in management has resulted in his team relegated to non-league football. Not the way you would want your career to end.

I suppose nothing is certain in football but I am amazed to see a club with the stature and history of Bristol Rovers slide into non-league and I can well understand the disappointment shown by the protesting fans after the game. On the bright side we spent a couple of seasons in the Conference in the early 90's and we had some great fun during that period, but it was only for a short time and as you say it can be a long road back.

As for JJ I am sure he will be gone in the summer especially as he has personally had a reasonably good season. I don't suppose it will be back to Colchester but I would mind seeing him in a Col U shirt again.
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 am

Just been to the one pre-season friendly against the Tractor Boys last week. Accompanied by my winter league partner who is an Ipswich fan and he was the happier as they ran out comfortable 3-0 victors.

First league game is on Saturday week at home to Oldham. A good start will be vital but then of course, it will be for everybody. We look okay in the first two thirds of the pitch, it's the final third and where the goals are going to come from that worries me.

I once scored 49 goals in a season, how much would I be worth today? (Alright, Alright...I know it was only Mid-Essex League and Sunday morning football!!!)  
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:51 am

Don't know if anyone is interested in a Premier League fantasy football comp this season - I have a league I've run for years on fantasy.premierleague.com - The site is open again now for the new season so feel free to join if you wish - the league code is 540466-137845 .. I see Mary is already in again!
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 am

Well that's last place sewn up then!  Wink
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Well that's last place sewn up then!  Wink

By some fluke, I did quite well last season! We'll have to wait and see if lightning strikes twice!  Innocent 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 pm

I don't know why you bother with all that Premier League nonsense Mary...we all know that the proper football is played in League 1 and the Conference!  Innocent

I see that our favourite midfielder has signed for the mighty Northampton!
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:09 am

Well off we go again tomorrow...Col U at home against Oldham for the first game of the season and I'll be there in my usual seat in the stands. (After a game of golf in the morning of course!)
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:15 am

Good luck for tomorrow Blue. Hope you get a good result Cross Fingers

1GrumpyGolfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Good Luck to your boys against the mighty Bristol City on Saturday, Blue!  Cross Fingers 
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:36 am

After a 4-0 hiding at Charlton in the League Cup on Tuesday night I'll think we will need it Mary! Fortunately I'll be lazing on a beach in the Bahamas sipping a cold beer by then and won't have to worry about it!  Cool
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top