Six Nations starts on Saturday - is a Grand Slam on the cards?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Six Nations starts on Saturday - is a Grand Slam on the cards?

Post by LadyPutt on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 am

Just to knocked the footie thread off the top, if nothing else, here's a chance for us to chat about the "hooligan's game played by gentlemen" - if anyone else is interested ......
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Six Nations starts on Saturday - is a Grand Slam on the cards?

Post by Davie on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:58 am

Oh yes I'm interested! I certainly follow the football and talk about it but Rugby is a definite favourite of mine (only really internationals these days though - lost touch a bit with the club scene)

France will be the biggest threat to England and I fancy the Scots to be on the up a bit after 2 or 3 bad years
Davie
Admin

View user profile http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 am

i fancy the Scots will sink from wooden spoon last year with some good performances, to wooden spoon this year with some stinking performances! anything to keep that sickening smile off salmonds smug mush.
scarpa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Fantastic performance by Italy yesterday in beating the French - by far the most entertaining of the 3 weekend games IMHO. That's thrown a spanner in the works. Trouble is, next weekend's England v Ireland game is probably now the crunch Grand Slam match.
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 am

Davie wrote:Oh yes I'm interested! I certainly follow the football and talk about it but Rugby is a definite favourite of mine (only really internationals these days though - lost touch a bit with the club scene)

France will be the biggest threat to England and I fancy the Scots to be on the up a bit after 2 or 3 bad years

Hmm - your predictions could do with a bit of brushing up Davie. Innocent

Personally, I think scotland will do well to win one game, judging by their performance on Saturday, which was just picking up scraps that a more cohesive England set of backs would not have allowed.

The French might come good in one or two games, but I doubt they will do more than that.

The Welsh might stage a comeback, probably against England!

I fancy Italy to beat Scotland! affraid

I agree with LP - this weekend could actually almost decide the whole shooting match.
oldshanker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

So my predictions could do with brushing up as well. Just watched both matches and Italy and France were both awful, Wales were not much better and Scotland played as well as they could by capitalising on a lot of Italian mistakes.

Didn't see anything today to worry either Ireland or England!
oldshanker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 pm

I thought Scotland played really well, deserved to win and it was a great game to watch - unlike England and Ireland - but the conditions didn't help. I had a feeling it would come down to penalties.
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 am

Glad to see that Cian Healey has been cited for an outrageous stamp on Dan Cole's ankle while in a ruck. Can't believe the ref and his assistants didn't see it. Thankfully the TV cameras did! It could have finished Cole's career. Healey is to face the music tomorrow.

While we're on the subject, why can't football adopt this - if someone does something which the ref doesn't see, they can still be punished for it. Then why doesn't football adopt of a lot of rugby's rules - like respecting the referee?It is so good to hear players address the ref as "Sir" during a game.
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 am

LP until we get away from the gentlemen's clubs which are members only, where they make their own rules up as they go along, and are also dictated to by the most corrupt group of scum in Geneva (FIFA) I'm afraid there will never be any changes in this area. 100% of sports fans agree with you and even though 100% of us want to see change in this area we won't get it. Sport and education should always go hand in hand, yet young kids see abuse being hurled at ref's every week on mainstream telly, and copy it on the playing fields. What chance do teachers have when their idols are using foul language, spitting, diving, pulling shirts week in week out.

As far as retrospective punishments go, I can't understand why it isn't allowed. The present rule obviously means that if the ref didn't spot it, then you get away with it. Yet if a policeman doesn't spot me smashing your car windscreen, but CCTV spots it, then I get done after the fact by a knock on the door. Sorry about your car by the way, but I was angry at the time.
Doc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am

LadyPutt wrote: I thought Scotland played really well, deserved to win and it was a great game to watch - unlike England and Ireland - but the conditions didn't help. I had a feeling it would come down to penalties.

I would tend to disagree with you LP about the England/Ireland match. Admittedly there were no 80 yard tries and whenever the ball was flung around it was dropped. But I found it engrossing, tense and above all, unpredictable.
oldshanker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 am

LadyPutt wrote:While we're on the subject, why can't football adopt this - if someone does something which the ref doesn't see, they can still be punished for it. Then why doesn't football adopt of a lot of rugby's rules - like respecting the referee?It is so good to hear players address the ref as "Sir" during a game.

Spot on LP, I used to coach and referee a lot of school sport. Before Christmas it was rugby, never a hint of an argument, players call you "Sir" etc, etc. Then somehow, come January and we started playing football the same lads would turn into monsters, arguing, swearing, "Ref" this and "Ref" that - and don't get me started on the parents ...

Jethro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Healy has been banned for the next two internationals - a fitting punishment for a very nasty stamp on an opponent's ankle which could have finished his career ... or worse.
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 am

I think he has got away very lightly considering the damage that he could have caused but that seems to be the way with the citing boards at the moment. The disappointing thing is that it wasn't spotted by the referee or his assistant at the time.

Jethro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Will the French play as badly again or can England expect a Gallic backlash?
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Well I was teased about my comments about the French at the start - but still believe they are our biggest threat to stop us from getting the Grand Slam
Davie
Admin

View user profile http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Will the French play as badly again or can England expect a Gallic backlash?

I think the answer to your question LP is.........yes and yes!

The first team they put out competed at every stage, but as soon as Mas, Parra, Trinh-Duc and others from the pack were replaced, it was instantly obvious that the new team did not have a hope in hell. The pack foundered, line outs which had been tricky for England became a 'walk in the park' and the backs lost every semblance of cohesion.

I believe that England played relatively well, but not fantastically well. However, I do not see anything in the way of a Grand Slam for England as the opposition is really not that good at the moment.

Chris Robshaw continues to impress me massively and is playing above and beyond the expected level, but it is time he 'reined in' the sneaky, dirty tricks brigade that appears to have been led on Saturday by Owen Farrell!
oldshanker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 pm

OS - Young master Farrell seems to think he is playing in a football team and needs his backside kicking from one end of the pitch to the other (although I doubt his indulgent father and dad's friend Stuart Lancaster will do it). His petulance, pushing and shoving is nothing short of disgraceful.

How anyone can compare him even in the same breath as Jonny Wilkinson is beyond me. OK, he can kick goals, but his defence is non-existent, his passing (especially to Ashton) is dreaful and, as we have both said, his disipline is creaking badly. Also, he is yet to score a try for England! Thank goodness he went off injured. Toby Flood immediately took charge of the game (bossing the scrum as a fly half should - another atribute of Mr Wilkinson not shared by Master Farrell) and with the positive contributions from Haskell, Tom Youngs and Danny Care (although I think Ben Youngs is equally as good a scrum half), England were able to hold off the French - whose replacements, as you said, were woeful.

And well done to Scotland! They must be pinching themselves to check it isn't a dream. OK, not the best game in the world but fantastic defence held off the determined Irish who sorely missed Jonny Sexton's boot.
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 am

In the end, I've no complaints about losing the title to Wales. They were the much better side on the day and deserved to win as they did.

Yes there was a period when all the 50-50 decisions seemed to go the celts way Wink but it was normally because the Welsh were pushing harder with a greater degree of controlled agression.

Adam Jones had a fantastic game and virtually single handedly destroyed the English pack, meaning the Welsh ball to the backs was much cleaner and quicker.

I'm fast becoming fed up with the English scrum halves available. My understanding of the position is they are there to organise and keep things moving along, whether it be directing the pack in a maul, tieing in the opponents pack with the short feed to the line breakers, or spinning it out to the backs. It just seems to me that especially Ben Youngs sees his purpose is to slow things down, which he did to great effect!! Damn fool doesn't seem to know the meaning of quick ball!
oldshanker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top