Paralympics

Go down

Paralympics

Post by Mary_S on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 am

Opening Ceremony for the Paralympics this evening.

I hope that the enthusiasm which we all found for the Olympics will continue for the next couple of weeks.

I am particularly looking forward to seeing Martin Sinclair in the Football 7-a-side. He comes from my home town of Bath, and was introduced to CP football by Ian Holloway (Bristol Rovers legend).

Anybody else planning to watch some events via TV, or live?
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paralympics

Post by Davie on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 am

I'm sure I'll watch plenty - not least because the people in control of the remote at my local pub are interested in it!

Seriously, I will watch some, but I was pleased today to hear that the coverage is mainly on Channel 4. I mean do disrespect to the Paralympians whatsoever and I am in awe of what a lot of these people do - I just feared that BBC would have had the coverage and we would get saturation of the airwaves for it.

Of course I'll be cheering on Team GB - but despite the bravery and courage these athletes show, I'm afraid it's NOT the same as the full Olympics
Davie
Admin

View user profile http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am

I'm going to athletics next week. Obviously I'm going to support the athletes, but if I'm honest, I'm mainly going because I couldn't get tickets to the Olympics and I want to see some events in the Olympic stadium.

The Paralympics will be massively successful, tagging along and riding on the wave of the Olympics. Already they have sold something like 2.4m out of 2.5m available tickets, however I suspect the majority of sales resulted from people who couldn't get Olympic tickets.

I'm going with an open mind, but I fear the complex categories may make it difficult to follow. For example, my research tells me that the men's 100m has 15 different categories.
raycastleunited

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Ray, I think that your main reason for buying tickets is probably shared by many others who will be attending events. I had thought of doing the same myself.

I didn't realise about all the different categories etc, hopefully Clare Balding can make it all seem relatively simple for those of us watching on TV. Innocent

Enjoy your day - I'm sure that it will be great to experience the atmosphere in the stadium.

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Already its the most supported event in Paralympics history, and guess that some of the reason is peoples acceptance of disabilities etc. But I think the main reason is as Ray put it, because they didn't get tickets for the Olympics and want to see the park, feel the atmosphere of a home event like this. Mrs Doc is going down next week, for exactly the same reason.

I hope its another succesful event for the organisers and team GB
Doc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 am

Mary - you've probably discovered by now that BBC aren't covering the Paralympics (it's C4 instead) - so no Claire Balding

However there is a very useful page on the BBC website about the different categories - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/18934366 - I now understand a little more how they split them up
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Davie - Channel 4 were savvy enough to sign Claire up! I think that she does some racing coverage for them, since the BBC lost the rights.

Emotional watching Ellie Simmonds winning Gold yesterday, and setting a new WR. Seem to be achieving more wins in the pool than we did in the Olympics.

Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 am

Ah OK thanks Mary - I wasn't aware C4 had signed Ms Balding up. I don't think I've seen any of the "proper" programs yet - just watched red button coverage which doesn't have an anchor person
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Well, apart from the Parade of Champions, it's all over - it's been a brilliant couple of months - Olympics and Paralympics. Hug

How long until Glasgow 2013? Innocent
Mary_S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 pm

I was disgusted at the paralympics. There was not a single bout of dwarf boxing for us to watch.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 am

My wife has a friend who used to go out with David Rappaport the actor who is probably best known for his role as Randall the leader of the dwarfs in the film 'Time Bandits'. David stood 3 feet 11 inches tall and she is a striking looking girl at 6 feet tall. They did make a bit of an odd looking couple but she was really very happy in the time that she was with him.

Unfortunately David suffered with depression in his last years and he committed suicide in California in 1990 aged only 38. A bit sad really
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 pm

A close relative of mine was a top blind swimmer in 3 paralympics back in the day. If it were now his 13 medals probably would have got him a knighthood.

super_realist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down