Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedway

5 posters

Go down

Speedway Empty Speedway

Post by Davie Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 am

I once asked this question on the dark side (in the motorsport forum indeed) and got zero response which surprised me

Does anyone else watch Speedway? I know we've got a few motorsport fans here, mainly F1 and cars but I've seen a few mentions for MotoGP also but I've never seen anyone mention speedway

I used to be a big fan as a kid - watching all the top stars in the 70s and then ignored it for many years but with the coverage provided by Sky Sports, I've really got back into it though I haven't seen a live meeting in probably 30 years

Tonight on SS is a world cup qualifier from Kings Lynn where GB re up against Australia (along with Germany and Czechs) - and it's brilliant viewing!

The biggest argument I've heard over the years is that speedway is always about who if first out of the gate then it's 4 laps of procession, but it's really not always like that (yes, depending on the track it can sometimes be so, but really not always)

Mark Weber of F1 fame is there tonight and just been interviewed by the SS pit team and he said pretty much the same thing - some GREAT racing tonight - these guys are seriously nuts!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Speedway Empty Re: Speedway

Post by Mary_S Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:12 am

I used to go and watch at Swindon, years ago with my parents. I can remember Ivan Mauger as the big star at the time.

I am tempted to have a look at it on Sky, but there's only so many sports I can fit into my viewing time!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 am

Ivan Mauger was my era also Mary - a legend at Belle Vue and then they had some weird rule where there were enforced transfers and he ended up going to the then unknown Exeter side

Who were the big stars at Swindon at the time? I used to watch Barrow who were in the 2nd division of the time though a few of our riders went on to bigger things - also remember Anders Michenek from Reading who was one of the top riders then also

This world cup series on at the moment is providing some great racing (and some good controvery too!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:37 am

Barry Briggs is the main name that I remember.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:48 am

Bloody Hell Davie that's turning back the clock a bit! I used to follow Ipswich Witches back in the late 70's and 80's. In the days of John Louis and Billy Sanders, really used to look forward to the Thursday night meetings at Foxhall Stadium.

Our local rivals were Kings Lynn, I remember Michael Lee was their big star in those days. There used to be a double header meeting on a bank holiday, we would drive to Kings Lynn for the afternoon racing and then back to Foxhall for the evening meeting. Brilliant fun.

We raced in Munich one year and I went with the supporters club and we had a great weekend. Could have had something to do with the fact that it coincided with the Munich Beer Festival!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 am

Of course Mary - I'd forgotten Briggs was a Swindon rider! He and Ivan Mauger were the arch enemies in those days

And yes Blue I remember the Witches (and Kings Lynn) from those days. John Louis was the Ipswitch No1 for years (his son Chris came through later and is now one of the Sky Sports team - he is doing the pit reporting on Sky tonight). Billy Sanders I'd forgotten, but I remember him now - American I think?

Michael Lee was just a little later I think for KL - bit of a bad boy of British Speedway - I seem to remember some controvery about him but can't recall the details. Before Lee it was Dennis(?) Betts who was their main man

I find it fascinating now seeing so many names who are sons and nephews of the guys I used to watch - even Chris Louis is retired now yet I remember watching his dad!

And one of the upcoming British stars at the moment is Adam Roynon - and I watched his dad Chris race for Barrow for years! Jason Crump is a top star at the moment and I used to watch his dad Phil (for Birmingham I think) then there was another bad boy, Gary Havelock and I remember his dad Brian also!

Boy I feel old!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 am

Used to go with my Dad back in the 70's to Hartlepool, stock cars as well. They also used to do beach speedway at Redcar where I grew up. Happy days.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:29 am

Billy was Australian Davie, really nice bloke and always had time to talk to you. Tragically committed suicide before he was 30, can't quite remember the reason, seem to recall it might have been a relationship break-up.

Didn't Michael Lee get banned for 5 years for riding the wrong way round the track during a race after being excluded? It was Terry Betts I think but I could be wrong, like you say it was a long time ago!

BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes - Terry Betts it was! I remember now, Dennis Betts was a Rugby League player I think Rolling Eyes
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am

Gotta love this country. Tonight's TV coverage of Premier League speedway has been delayed for 30 minutes because of sunshine!

Apparently the setting sun was right in the eyes of the riders coming into turn 1 which was considered too dangerous

Only in Britain...
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I come from Bournemouth and Poole Pirates were (and still are) a very good speedway team but I have to admit I've never watched it. I'm more into Touring Cars (BTCC, WTCC, DTM and V8 in Australia), NASCAR and, of course, F1. I'm a bit of a petrolhead on the quiet!

Davie - you're right about Dennis Betts and the bit about the sunshine .... you couldn't make it up!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm

It was a great meeting last night, despite the enforced interval for sun! King's Lynn and Swindon fought out a thrilling 45-45 draw!

I'd highly recommend some of you people who maybe watched it years ago as I did, to check it out again. Usually get some great racing in the Elite league - one poor bugger took THREE almighty spills last night and still kept getting up and carrying on - and there was lots of overtaking too (not just first to the corner wins as people often suggest)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum