MustPuttBetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To the inconsiderate git . . .

Post by MustPuttBetter on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Mercurio wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
You seem to be assuming that he didn't go to the station to kill himself.

You think the idea just popped into his head on the platform?

How can you possibly suggest this as a response as if it's evidence?

Using the same logic by which you have labelled him selfish with no evidence Merc?

Is the method of disproving a proposition to add your own proposition?

Is it a method of disproving? no
A method of adding a different perspective to shed doubt/light on said proposition? yes

And for that reason..........i'm out

MustPuttBetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm

I hate it when people go - debate until the death, you swine!
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Mercurio wrote:I hate it when people go - debate until the death, you swine!

I feel that would be selfish to my fellow posters Cool

MustPuttBetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I hate it when people go - debate until the death, you swine!

I feel that would be selfish to my fellow posters Cool

It's fine as long as you don't delay them or cause them financial loss Razz
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Suicides are both premeditated and impulsive, there is plenty of documentation to prove this should you wish to go online and check.
I dont know what this guys thoughts were on the day but I do know that quite a lot of suicide attempts involving jumping in front of trains are deemed to be impulsive decisions.
I dont actually think this makes any difference to how you would see the situation to be honest but was just clarifying the point of my argument.

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

Whether it was impulse or pre-meditated is easy to determine. With the price of tickets being what they are these days see if the one the guy bought was enough to get him further than the next stop or not.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Whether it was impulse or pre-meditated is easy to determine. With the price of tickets being what they are these days see if the one the guy bought was enough to get him further than the next stop or not.

scratch bounce Brilliant
Doc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:32 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Actually Gael I'm pretty much like that with my little fella. I am perfectly happy to tell and show him pictures of what animal we are eating over dinner.

I have issues with people who will happily eat meat but have no tolerance for where it comes from or the processes involved. So am completely open about him that he is eating animal...

In relation to the Bambis mum thing. Often happens where I live. It's in the middle of a deer reserve (or whatever they are called) and the culled animals often end up in the local butchers. Tasty things too.

Can't quite make out what the connection the above has to do my post but, just to confuse matters further, I owe you an apology LJ. I was actually responding to the OP which I thought was you but now realise was Mercurio! Sorreee. Hug

gaelgowfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:37 am

I think it must have been as you stated I was trying to determine boundaries and my comment in relation to eating Bambis mum that caused that.... but no worries. Easy to mistake posters on these things.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:41 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I think it must have been as you stated I was trying to determine boundaries and my comment in relation to eating Bambis mum that caused that.... but no worries. Easy to mistake posters on these things.

Indeed, these ultra right-wing snobs all look the same!

lol!
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 am

I am not ultra-right wing. I consider myself to be somewhat to the left of liberal... or at least to the left of what I consider liberal should be.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I am not ultra-right wing. I consider myself to be somewhat to the left of liberal... or at least to the left of what I consider liberal should be.

I was being ironic, LJ.

I would consider myself as a nationalistic liberal.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 am

That said I should mention that in my opinion Maggie was more or less a communist.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 am

Am I the only one who considers it rather selfish to bemoan the impact of another human being getting so desperately ill that they take their own life on one's social diary and company's budget?

Last edited by smithersjones on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

smithersjones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 am

smithersjones wrote:Am I the only one who considers it rather selfish to bemoan the impact of another human being getting so desperately ill that they take their own life on their social diary and their company's budget?

No you're not smithers......I fully agree. In my view the article was in poor taste.

Yadsendew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 am

smithersjones wrote:Am I the only one who considers it rather selfish to bemoan the impact of another human being getting so desperately ill that they take their own life on one's social diary and company's budget?

SJ, I'm with you 100%

drive4show

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 am

smithersjones wrote:Am I the only one who considers it rather selfish to bemoan the impact of another human being getting so desperately ill that they take their own life on one's social diary and company's budget?

*Sigh*

Why has someone once again omitted the affect on those many people who missed flights (like my wife), those people who had to pay again for flights for the following day and hotels for the night.

There are loads more examples of inconvenience and cost out there, so why have you focused on only some of the effects on me and my wife? Is it because you don't have much of a case if you consider the full effect?
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 am

*Sigh*

Why has someone once again omitted the affect on those many people who missed flights (like my wife), those people who had to pay again for flights for the following day and hotels for the night.

There are loads more examples of inconvenience and cost out there, so why have you focused on only some of the effects on me and my wife? Is it because you don't have much of a case if you consider the full effect?
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 am

I'm with Merc on this.

Agreed its sad someone chose to do this, but whether its in bad taste or not his taking of his own life impacted on others in both a financial and emotional way that should never have happened. I also think regardless taking ones own life is a selfish act that has more ramifications on those left behind which should not be placed on them.

Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:49 am

Mercurio wrote:

*Sigh*

I thought it was a long and awkward enough sentence without listing every single little moan you had. The point is you are alive, they are not. They were so ill that, on the spur of the moment, the idea of ending it all under the oncoming train seemed like a good one. Just think about that for a few minutes. THEY ARE NO LONGER ALIVE.

Understand this - depression is a mental illness which causes people to end lives which to other people may seem perfectly normal, even successful (Gary Speed for example). It is little understood, not always obvious in the sufferer's outward demeanour and can affect people in a vast range of ways. Suicide of this kind, as has already been pointed out, is rarely premeditated. If someone decides in advance to kill themselves, they do it in or near their home, by hanging themselves, taking an overdose or possibly even by jumping off a building, and they leave a note etc. While it's true that other people have to deal with the consequenses, someone who kills themselves, even if they are aware that will be the case, will often consider that the people they leave behind will be better off without them. What is certainly the case for the likes of the person who so inconvenienced you and your wife, flying back to her job in Switzerland yesterday, is that they did not do it just to piss you off. Sorry if that shatters your Merc-centric view of the universe, but it's true.

smithersjones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 am

Interestingly on the darkside some posters have been on here and are singling out this one thread as us allowing carnage to rein supreme and not be able to run and work a forum all together!

This is one thread! Its off topic and therefore is able to develop without having any effect on the golf posts! Are they that naïve to think a difference of opinion is carnage and losing control!

Its not its simply a difference of opinion! Clearly they are ignoring some fine golf threads and other sports and off topic chat! To try to make the sunshine over there seem less grey!!! Still if their talking about us then we are sparking their interests

Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:31 am

smithersjones wrote:I thought it was a long and awkward enough sentence without listing every single little moan you had. The point is you are alive, they are not. They were so ill that, on the spur of the moment, the idea of ending it all under the oncoming train seemed like a good one. Just think about that for a few minutes. THEY ARE NO LONGER ALIVE.

Understand this - depression is a mental illness which causes people to end lives which to other people may seem perfectly normal, even successful (Gary Speed for example). It is little understood, not always obvious in the sufferer's outward demeanour and can affect people in a vast range of ways. Suicide of this kind, as has already been pointed out, is rarely premeditated. If someone decides in advance to kill themselves, they do it in or near their home, by hanging themselves, taking an overdose or possibly even by jumping off a building, and they leave a note etc. While it's true that other people have to deal with the consequenses, someone who kills themselves, even if they are aware that will be the case, will often consider that the people they leave behind will be better off without them. What is certainly the case for the likes of the person who so inconvenienced you and your wife, flying back to her job in Switzerland yesterday, is that they did not do it just to piss you off. Sorry if that shatters your Merc-centric view of the universe, but it's true.

How do you know it was a spur of the moment decision?

Also, aren't many crimes done on the spur of the moment with little thought of the consequences? Should they not be punished for their crimes, in that case?

I don't know why you're asking me to think about the fact they're no longer alive? About 1/4m people die each day - should I shed a tear for everyone who dies everyday or just the approximate 3,000 per day that commit suicide? Is that what you do?

It appears to me that you and others are saying that if someone commits suicide there is no amount of disruption their decision causes which will be deserving of criticism and that those affected should not be able to condemn their actions. Is that what you're saying?
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 am

Maverick wrote:Interestingly on the darkside some posters have been on here and are singling out this one thread as us allowing carnage to rein supreme and not be able to run and work a forum all together!

This is one thread! Its off topic and therefore is able to develop without having any effect on the golf posts! Are they that naïve to think a difference of opinion is carnage and losing control!

Its not its simply a difference of opinion! Clearly they are ignoring some fine golf threads and other sports and off topic chat! To try to make the sunshine over there seem less grey!!! Still if their talking about us then we are sparking their interests

I don't know which clowns are saying such things, but maybe they don't understand the concept of debate.

This thread would never exist on v2. People will have objected to Administrators because it's not about golf nor is everyone agreeing with each other.

Debate is invaluable - I love it and I love that I can do it on here.

If people can't debate without making it personal or taking it personally, they're severely lacking in interesting qualities.

Show me a person without an opinion and I'll show you a dullard.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am

Problem is once they've done themselves in, gone is any chance of reasoning or condemnation in some peoples eyes.

Personally its a selfish act regardless of mental illness and beofre anyone says "shock horror how can you say that" simple really try sharing a room with a squaddie who had Post Traumatic stress disorder and took his life leaving his 2 room mates to find him! Also have an aunt that took her life shortly after her husband died, all they did was cause further issues for thos close to them having to live with knowing they'd rather be dead than have continued with a loving family!!!

In all honesty though, maybe its time to wrap this one up guys, I'm not going to lock it as this is off topic and as such has no requirement for being locked down but clearly there is no winner in this argument

However one thing this thread does highlight is the fact that we can have open debate and disagreement on this forum without fear or being Mod'd out for talking about something that is current outside of golf and sport, and as such will holf more weight when attracting new posters as long as they pop it in the off topic section it can be discussed as long as they do not openly attack one and other

Vive la revolution

v
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 pm

What automatically qualify the "Chief Executives" of " charities "Mind" or "Sane" to know anything about mental illness or depression? Are they in some way medically qualified or are they professional executives? I have sufferred depression and made a serious suicide attempt (I took in excess of 56 paracetamol/codeine tablets which made me ill and did not kill me. The next day I woke, ill but not dead, and sought treatment). I have spoken to Samaritans, psychiatrists, doctors, and ALL stressed the selfish side of suicide - that is, you should think about the affect your suicide would have on the family left behind. I still have suicidal thoughts, often in fact. But the ONE thing that now stops me going through with it is the affect it would have on certain people. There IS a selfish aspect to suicide and anyone who denies it does not have a clue what they are talking about - and I dont care which charity pays their inflated salary.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Merc

We all understand your frustration and we sympathise. Now we don't know the background of this poor jumper but he may have been a family man with a wife, kids, brothers, sisters etc.

So in a couple of weeks time when you and your family wake up on Xmas day to open your presents, eat your dinner and have a lovely relaxing time, think about the total devastation of his family. No Dad to open presents with or carve the turkey or to take pictures of happy kids. Not this year, not any year ever again.

As a small aside, my own father died on Boxing day when I was 12. I have always hated Christmas, it just brings back unhappy memories for me. I have not enjoyed a single Christmas for the last 40 years. This year, there is now another family that will feel the same.

So, I ask you this. In the grand scheme of things, is a missed flight or an extra £30 kennel fee REALLY that important?

drive4show

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:34 pm

drive4show wrote:Merc

We all understand your frustration and we sympathise. Now we don't know the background of this poor jumper but he may have been a family man with a wife, kids, brothers, sisters etc.

So in a couple of weeks time when you and your family wake up on Xmas day to open your presents, eat your dinner and have a lovely relaxing time, think about the total devastation of his family. No Dad to open presents with or carve the turkey or to take pictures of happy kids. Not this year, not any year ever again.

As a small aside, my own father died on Boxing day when I was 12. I have always hated Christmas, it just brings back unhappy memories for me. I have not enjoyed a single Christmas for the last 40 years. This year, there is now another family that will feel the same.

So, I ask you this. In the grand scheme of things, is a missed flight or an extra £30 kennel fee REALLY that important?

In the grand scheme of things, D4S, nothing is important. And, again, you're only referring to the inconvenience for me and my wife. Are you personally happy to make a contribution to the costs incurred by those who can't absorb extra costs.

Again, it's as if you're saying it's OK for a suicide to result in any level of cost and inconvenience. Is that what you're saying?

Regarding the family that's left behind, I haven't criticised them. Why would I? I've criticised the person who committed suicide.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rangiora on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Not doubt had it been an accident you would have had sympathies Merc and in all probability would have been no thread ?

rangiora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Merc. Travel insurance should cover the cost of the flights to be fair. And possibly the kennels.

Are you atol protected?
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't know, it depends on what was known about the accident.

I'm not sure why you're coming up with hypothetical situations. I'm only interested with this actual event
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:21 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Merc. Travel insurance should cover the cost of the flights to be fair. And possibly the kennels.

Are you atol protected?

Mrs W was working in the UK. I don't know if her Swiss employer can make a claim for the extra cost. I know she can't make a claim for the cost of the kennels - that's a cost to her whenever she works away.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rangiora on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 pm

If it had been an accident and I've only your word for it being a suicide all that you've described would have happened in exactly the same way you've described.
Had it come on the news that there had been an accident would you have had the same " put upon dissatisfaction ' ?

rangiora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Yes but travel insurance covers these things when there is no alternative. And to be honest i always take a cab when travelling for business if the time is a bit tight.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Yes but travel insurance covers these things when there is no alternative. And to be honest i always take a cab when travelling for business if the time is a bit tight.

She took a cab from Victoria. It cost £200 and she still missed the flight. As I said, London was chocker due to thus incident and it took ages. She got to the airport 25 minutes before the flight left but as she was having to check in luggage, she wasn't let through.

The one good thing is that at Victoria she asked around for people who needed to get to Gatwick and was able to offer a free cab ride to a couple going to Guernsey and a woman from Ireland. She thinks the woman from Ireland made her flight but was not sure about the Guernsey people but hopefully they weren't out of pocket. Mrs Merc commented that all those in the cab were deeply annoyed at the person who caused the problems.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 pm

So even though she made it before the flight she wasn't allowed to check in. I'd be thinking that the officious check in tart was more to blame. A brief explanation and that could have been resolved i'm sure.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 pm

rangiora wrote:If it had been an accident and I've only your word for it being a suicide all that you've described would have happened in exactly the same way you've described.
Had it come on the news that there had been an accident would you have had the same " put upon dissatisfaction ' ?

As I said, I don't know, it depends on the cause of the accident (which I would be unlikely to know).

That's a bit of a strange comment 'I only have your word that it was an suicide'! Do you think I've made this all up, then?
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Mercurio wrote:I don't know, it depends on what was known about the accident.

I'm not sure why you're coming up with hypothetical situations. I'm only interested with this actual event

Or to be specific, interested in the resulting consequences the event had on you and your wife. Like missing a darts match.

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Maverick wrote:Interestingly on the darkside some posters have been on here and are singling out this one thread as us allowing carnage to rein supreme and not be able to run and work a forum all together!

If you are talking about the one or two posts on the Anything Goes thread then that is a gross exageration as anyone who reads it will see. People have simply seen this thread, remembered the Dog Gate thread and found the irony amusing, as do I.

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:49 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:So even though she made it before the flight she wasn't allowed to check in. I'd be thinking that the officious check in tart was more to blame. A brief explanation and that could have been resolved i'm sure.

They weren't going to delay the flight for one person. The check-in person wasn't being officious. There just wasn't enough time to do everything. She probably got to the desk 20 minutes before the flight. To check-in luggage, go through security, make her way to the Gate which would have been one in the 100s and the furthest away, just wasn't going to be possible.

We're talking Gatwick Airport here not Biggin Hill.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Would definately take it up with the Airline Merc, a brief word with the check in desk as to what had occured should have been enough to get Lady Merc on her plane.

Diggers of course he's only interested in the aftermath of this one event as it was this event that caused issues for him and his Mrs. I must be failing to see the irony or point of that last comment
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm

To quote this article (also proof Merc hasn't made it up)........

http://swlondoner.co.uk/content/1312706-man-hit-and-killed-train-south-croydon

"Commuters faced delays after a man was hit by a train and killed at South Croydon station.

British Transport Police are not treating the incident, which happened around 15.47, as suspicious, and believe it was a deliberate act.

All trains through East Croydon were suspended and those using the overground line were forced to seek alternative routes.

Theliamdelusion said on Twitter: "Whoever has committed suicide at South Croydon I've no sympathy, you've prevented me and millions of others from London Bridge to get home."

But John Crispen, 45, of St Albans, believes some commuters have their priorities wrong"

Merc - is your name 'Theliamdelusion' ?

MustPuttBetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm

diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I don't know, it depends on what was known about the accident.

Or to be specific, interested in the resulting consequences the event had on you and your wife. Like missing a darts match.

Mr Contrary - sorry to disappoint you but missing the darts match was the least of the things that concerned me.

I'm getting bored of your silly little unnecessary comments. So much so that you're going on my foes list so I don't have to see anymore of your posts. I suggest you do likewise to me.
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Spoiler:

lol!
Davie
Admin

View user profile http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Its funny how anyone who disagrees with the guy who loves a debate is just contrary.
And no thanks, I like seeing your posts, they are often hilarious.

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Diggers

I never referred to you or any of your comments on the anything goes thread! If you read what I wrote then look at the comments over on the place with no name you will see they refer to Mac, JPX, Liegerwoods who all seem to think the only thread that exists here is this one.

They also forget were adults, and this is the off topic section therefore anything that creates debate is welcome as long as no personal insults are tossed about. If they cared to dip into the golf section they will see its growing nicely with some good articles. Obviously we havemt got as many articles here as over there but were less than a week old compared to their 12month stint
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Im not saying you did refer to me, Ive no idea why you would of. Ive posted on various threads on the board including several golf ones and this is the only one I have had any kind of argument on and to be fair Im the one being called Mr Contrary.....even though plenty of other people dont agree with Mercurios views.
I dont get the impression at all they are saying this is the only thread over on 606v2, it is just that they commented on the irony of the thread which is not lost on many bar the OP of this thread.
Im equally sure many people will be posting on both sites and are happy to see both do well.

Last edited by diggers on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Merc... I once got to Heathrow 20 minutes before a flight to Bahrain. BA checked me in at 1st class... security rushed me through by allowing me to use the new process bypassing the queue... and they arranged one of the golf carts to take me to the gate. The whole process took 5 minutes. All it takes is a little explanation.

Incidentally I was late for that flight not due to anything dodgy... It was purely that i was hammered.
LondonJonnyO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Digs

The mr contrary name isn't associated to you by all, good to have you hear and fellow double dippers add some good points to the debates. My comment named those that don't double dip and on more than one occaision have made comments which are not ironic but more a case of in keeping with the admins. But enough of this them and us.

Let's enjoy debating one and all and any one for a Nurse
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Mercurio / Diggers - you two make me laugh; it's like having our very own Morcombe & Wise Christmas Special on here. The 'Dark-Side' have got Mac n Mabel (sorry SuperRealist) and we've got you two Hug
Noshankingtonite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum