The Falklands

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Falklands

Post by Mercurio on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

Is it just me or are the Argentines Grade A nutjobs with no knowledge of history?
Mercurio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falklands

Post by BlueCoverman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:42 am

I read in the Telegraph this week that since the end of the Falklands War, nearly 300 ex-servicemen have committed suicide. That's more than the 255 that we lost during the fighting.

Not an answer to your question Merc, just an awful statistic I thought and not sure what it says about how we look after our people when they have become surplus to requirements.
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Blue: those figures are quite tragic.

Take it from me nowhere near enough is done to look after soldiers that have been through things that leave mental/emotional scars from combat and the horrors of a war zone.

Help4Heroes have done a cracking job with those that have physical injury but again shocking someone outside the government had to have the foresight to set that up.
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Mav - H4H doesn't just support the wounded, they also help those with PTSD. If you check their website (www.helpforheroes.org.uk) and go to the "How we spend your money" link, you can see all the different causes they support financially (like Combat Stress), as well as their own places like Hedley Court.

I agree it is shocking that it had to be someone outside government to set it up, but on the other hand, at least it isn't swallowed up by bureaucracy by being a rpivate organisation. Every £1 donated goes to the cause - their trading arm rasies the money for the running costs and last year they made a big profit so those funds also went into the pot. I spoke to some people from our local Air Ambulance recently and said it was a pity they had to rely on donations to operate and they said they preferred it that way so the government doesn't get involved and tell them what to do, and waste their money. Apparently the same goes for the RNLI.

I have been a supporter of H4H for almost as long as they have been going. It amazes me that people still don't recognise their wristbands (I wear mine all the time, even in bed) and yet hardly a day goes by when you don't see at least one person on the TV wearing one.

As GolfChat is such a caring forum, as we've shown with the support for BCM, can I please ask everyone at least to buy and wear a H4H wristband, if they don't already? It only costs £2 Wink
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi LP.

I'm aware of their other arm so to speak and its a cracking thing they do, I fear I may have not elaborated what I meant. Imo the HM Forces and government should be aware of the issue of the PTSD sufferers before they have to turn to H4H, only reason I say this is, these boys and girls have done a job for them so should be supported accordingly so they can continue to serve if they wish or if they leave not have to rely on the charity long term as they shouyld have had the help all along

I'm an avid supported of H4H for obvious reasons and will continue to support, I took have a wrist band, had it since they were first available and can't think of a time I've taken it off ever!

Be good if Golf Chat can do something for charities such as H4H and cancer charities such as MacMillan
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Great idea - how about we adopt the two of them as "our" charities and then if anyone ever does anything - like run a marathon or even something less strenuous - they can choose one of those two to support?
LadyPutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I think its a fair bit of bluster from Argentina over the Falklands. I dont think it will come to war as niether country needs or wants that, hopefully this will be a battle in the courtroom.
But personally I dont give a monkeys whether they remain British or not, they can ship any of the Islanders to the Hebrides and they wont notice the difference.

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 pm

LP I'm all for that as an idea.

Diggers: totally agree hopefully it'll be a courtroom argument, and cannot see what either nation really has to gain over another war and do we want another Goose Green! Its a god awful place anyway.
Maverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:56 am

The argies wanting the falklands is like the British wanting the Faroes , only they are nearer to the UK than the falklands are to Argentina.
The argies have also never owned the falklands so its even more ridiculous that they have a so called claim on them.

super_realist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Listened in to a radio show last week, where some argie students were interviewed. 100% of them were taught in school and university about the Malvinas being Argentinian and being stolen from them by imperialistic Briton.

If the kids are taught crap the situation will never go away and will crop up every year. Politicians over there can win votes by jumping on the malvinas crusade to win votes. On the same radio show some local islanders were also interviewed, and were upset about argy tourists who were flocking in for holidays. They wear Malvina T Shirts and all there maps have Malvinas Islands instead of Falkland Islands printed on official maps etc, which they leave lying around on purpose.

If we're not making any cash out of the place from oil etc, and its costs us millions just to keep a few sheep happy, we should bin it ...... Maybe sell it to Argentina for a few million and have a mineral rights clause inserted into the deal so that we make a % ....
Doc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

Disagree Doc...we should dig our heels in and go to war with them every few years if necessary.

We still owe them a good slap for that Maradona handball in 86...
BlueCoverman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 am

Interstingly though, rightly or wrongly, as far as I can gather the whole of latin America believes that the sovereignty of the Falklands should be in Argentine hands. The port blockade is supported by Brazil, Uruguay and Paraquay as well as Argentina.
I personally fully agree with Doc, they really just are not worth the hassle and would rather be on good terms for trade with that continent.
I know people will feel that its a slight against the soldiers who died defending the Islands but such is life, times change and the past is a foreigh country. Quite frankly I dont think Thatcher should have got us involved in a war last time and it was just an obvious bit of jingoism which you have to say worked for the evil bitch because we Brits are suckers for a bit of misguided patriotism. Who had even heard of the Falklands before the last war ?

diggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum