Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The South of England Drought

+3
LondonJonnyO
Davie
Doon the Water
7 posters

Go down

The South of England Drought Empty The South of England Drought

Post by Doon the Water Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 am

There was a good call by a Scots politician this week.
Extend the high speed railway line from Birmingham to Glasgow and build a water pipe alongside it.
Bit of a win win.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

The South of England Drought Empty Re: The South of England Drought

Post by Davie Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 am

I'm more interested to know which of the south of England golf courses will be affected by the drought orders and which will be able to maintain proper watering
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 am

Interesting question Davie... I think that golf courses have an exemption if they pump it from a water feature don't they?

Anyone know if that's the case?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:11 am

Bring on the 350 yard drives!
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 am

I'm sure they are exempt if all the water is coming from their own resources. What I'm not sure about is the courses that can only partially sustain their own water usage

My club is looking to increase fees by 10% this year - that will be hard to swallow if the watering is going to lessen
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04 am

Maybe the solution is do like we've been doing in Southern California for almost a century: we steal the water. And there's no discrimination: we take it from Northern California, Nevada, Arizona... any place or anybody that has water, we steal it.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 am

Davie we only have green and surround watering so it's not so bad. The course is very links like in the summer months playing hard and fast with deep rough so not a problem.

I know that other courses in the area have boreholes however... I imagine a lot of courses in the richer areas around surrey and the like have something similar.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:27 am

I'm pretty sure that there are limitations about how much water a course can use, even if it has a borehole as using it still removes water from the water table. My course has it's own borehole but we are restricted to how much we can use.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:32 am

All abstraction of water has to be licenced and there are very severe penalties to be paid if the licenced amount is exceeded.

Last year, my course used all of their licenced amount on the greens only.

Living in the Fens, there is nothing Southern California can teach us about water control. If we do not have enough, we steal it from anyone and everyone and if we have too much, we pump it somewhere else.

Strange - as I type this, I can hear the news that a hose pipe ban has been ordered.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am

Easy enough to circumvent for the garden though. When then neighbour goes out I'll just use their hose.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Easy enough to circumvent for the garden though. When then neighbour goes out I'll just use their hose.

There was talk at some stage a number of years ago, of aerial photography being used to catch the hose pipe users out. So that would only work LJ if you kept the hosepipe off your garden and watered the neighbours garden instead. Very social minded of you. Innocent

Last edited by oldshanker on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers again)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am

oldshanker wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Easy enough to circumvent for the garden though. When then neighbour goes out I'll just use their hose.

There was talk at some stage a number of years ago, of aerial photography being used to catch the hose pipe users out. So that would only work LJ if you kept the hosepipe off your garden and watered the neighbours garden instead. Very social minded of you. Innocent

Suits me. Not a fan of my immediate neighbour. He's a good guy but she is a snobby <female canine>. I wouldn't mind but she doesn't work and he's on the underground!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down