Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve

+5
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
venice1
diggers
Mercurio
9 posters

Go down

Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve Empty Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve

Post by Mercurio Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

1. The smoking ban
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve Empty Re: Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve

Post by diggers Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 am

Seatbelt wearing being made compulsory.
It's funny how some nanny state moves seem like complete common sense further down the line.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve Empty Re: Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve

Post by venice1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:48 am

Golf: synthetic spikes for golf footwear.

Add: Staying with the shoe issue, the vast improvement in golf shoe selection is incredible due to the integration of the athletic shoe elements into the golf shoe design. As someone who tries to walk most courses when given the option, the modern "running" styled athletic shoes available make all the difference in the world in terms of comfort, functionality and probably allowing for an aggressive shot whenever necessary regardless of the lie.

Other: keeping abortions legal.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Other: Not repealing the law about Welshmen being illegal in Chester.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:39 am

Wasn't it the fact that you could kill a Welshman legally in Chester?

Or have I completely lost the plot? Great changes that don't get the credit they deserve 70282223
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 am

no. You can legally kill a scotsman after dark inside the walls of Leeds if he is holding a bow and arrow.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

The complusory wearing of a helmet on motorbikes and more recently bicycles.

Modern joint replacements, years ago my great aunt god rest her soul had a hip replacement that meant a constant limp, walking stick and pain everytime there was a chill in the air, plus months of rehab. Whereas my dad under goes a hip replacement on Friday and has been informed he'll be walking out of the hospital unaided, no stick etc by Monday add in a few exercises he has to do , not driving for a short period and he'll be playing golf again in 4months is a hell of a difference to years gone by.

Altimeters for parachutists really did take the old fashoned guess work out of when to pull the chute open. Yes they were always available in the planes but to make them small enough to be wrist watch size to be worn by an individual now thay was a breakthrough that went without notice
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Computers and t'internet. Thought my laptop had "died" this morning, and was in a total panic as I realised how much I rely on this form of communication:- e-mails, on-line shopping, working from home, internet banking, and golf forums. Wink Luckily the problem turned out to be that I had not pressed the button hard enough to bring it out of sleep mode. Embarassed

Mav - my brother had a hip replacement just before Christmas and was playing 9 holes by mid-Feb (around 8 weeks). Actually playing better than he has for a long time, and is doing his first 18 tomorrow. Good luck to your Dad with his recovery.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks Mary, yes the advances are great, and it'll make a huge difference to my Old man, he has continued to play golf through the pain and used a buggy to aid him. Ironically he has remained a fabulous driver of the ball but, sort irons and short game have gone awry simply because he cannot get down to setup properly with the shorter clubs/shots.

As an aside and sorry to hijack a thread slightly your surname wouldn't happen to be Surry would it (excuse spelling) only reason I ask is I believe I may habe come across your son out at fancourt. A bried passing mind but from what I saw a good player with some obvious talent
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes - that's me - correct spelling too! Wink

Unfortunately Steve picked up a shoulder injury a few days before the first event, and even with physio twice daily, he was disappointed to not be at his best for the tournaments. He was very impressed with Fancourt, and feels that he learnt a lot (different grains etc?), for when he returns later in the year.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

What a small world this is, fly across the globe and share a driving range with your boy. Have to say I know what he means Fancourt opened my eyes to what the pro's mean when they talk about grain now. Well he seems a thoroughly nice fella and a credit to you hope he does well in his pursuit of a golfing career.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Mav and Mary - they obviously had the cemented joint replacements. Mine were the non-cemented type (which they give to "younger" replacement recipients because they are easier to remove and replace in 20 or so years time) and that meant each time I had to be non-weightbearing (on crutches) for at least six weeks each time. It was really frustrating but at least each one was done during the very cold and snowy weather at the start and finish of 2010. I 'm still having problenms now because my knees are shot away as well but thanks to a great chiropractor, he reckons I can stave off having to have more replacements for some years.

It's a real pain (pardon the pun!).
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Mary_S wrote:Yes - that's me - correct spelling too! Wink

Unfortunately Steve picked up a shoulder injury a few days before the first event, and even with physio twice daily, he was disappointed to not be at his best for the tournaments. He was very impressed with Fancourt, and feels that he learnt a lot (different grains etc?), for when he returns later in the year.

I hope the injury wasn't picked up playing golf Mary, Super Realist will be calling your son a nancy boy if that's the case. Apparently real men don't get golfing injurys.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 am

Kimberly Clark and the St Andrews Paper Mill of Walthamstow for soft toilet paper
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum