Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms"

+3
super_realist
BlueCoverman
gaelgowfer
7 posters

Go down

"Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" Empty "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms"

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Headliner in The Scotsman today ...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/donald_trump_brands_alex_salmond_insane_over_windfarms_1_2107670?showResult=true&pollContentId=7.32167

How delicious to see Trump being served up with a large helping of schadenfreude!

Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, it's difficult to tell who's the more insane! Laughing

Trying to access Trump's letter to Salmond contained within the article but struck out so far. Suffice to say, the 'prose' of a five year old. Cool Laughing

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

"Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" Empty Re: "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms"

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:14 pm

schadenfreude?...will you please stop using such long words Gael, us close relatives of Harry Redknapp can't cope with it! "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

"Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" Empty Re: "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms"

Post by super_realist Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I can't really understand Trumps point, as the windfarm will be miles away, won't be heard, and barely seen, on the other hand, I can't really see anyones objection to Trump's course, other than they don't like Trump.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 am

super_realist wrote:I can't really understand Trumps point, as the windfarm will be miles away, won't be heard, and barely seen, on the other hand, I can't really see anyones objection to Trump's course, other than they don't like Trump.

Thought it was supposed to be just one and half miles off-shore and close to Aberdeen. Will they be 'round a corner or summat?

The objection to Trump's course (as well you know) was based on vandalism to a rare dune system.

Anyway ... I'm really surprised that Trump (apparently) didn't get any written assurances that no turbines would be installed the last time this subject came up. Planning was rejected on that occasion. Perhaps Trump thought that was the end of it?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 am

I really like windfarms, where I live I am more or less surrounded by them.
The 140 unit one at Eaglsham Moor looks really impressive and even has it's own visitor centre.
Our nearest farm, half a mile from our cottage, has a couple of mini windmills on the hill overlooking our 'brigadoon' village and I have not heard one negative word.

I would much rather see them than the ugly power stations that blight many good golf courses in Kent, The Lothians and Ayrshire.

They say that the Eaglesham Moor site provides 40% of Glasgow's energy.

The ones sited at sea look good as well. Trump needs to think a bit more to the future and recognise that not everyone thinks as he does
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 am

I'm surprised he didn't get that either Gael, would seem common sense.
I don't find turbines particularly irksome to view to be honest, certainly more elegant than some of the buildings on the Aberdeen skyline.

Can't agree that the course is vandalism, as that would be something done without permission and to someone elses property. He has the right to do it, so not vandalism at all.

Looks a masterpiece so far from the pictures I've seen, and if all it has done is decamp a load of pikeys then I've no problem with that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 am

s_r, the point ... as well you know ... is that he should never have been given permission to build one there in the first place.

I'm sure the Milnes who've conducted themselves with a dignity far beyond your understanding would be thrilled to be described as pikeys. Rolling Eyes

Seems the only reason you frequent forums is just to pick a fight. You really are one sour, sad git.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 am

Doon the Water wrote:I really like windfarms, where I live I am more or less surrounded by them.
The 140 unit one at Eaglsham Moor looks really impressive and even has it's own visitor centre.
Our nearest farm, half a mile from our cottage, has a couple of mini windmills on the hill overlooking our 'brigadoon' village and I have not heard one negative word.

I would much rather see them than the ugly power stations that blight many good golf courses in Kent, The Lothians and Ayrshire.

They say that the Eaglesham Moor site provides 40% of Glasgow's energy.

The ones sited at sea look good as well. Trump needs to think a bit more to the future and recognise that not everyone thinks as he does

The thing is though Doon, how many land and sea turbines will eventually be needed? The tourism industry is one of our best earners and if too many turbines are built then there's little doubt that fewer tourists will visit Scotland.

Quite apart from green energy being more expensive to produce, I absolutely hate the fact that other countries are making a profit out of us because the damn things are being built elsewhere which if they're built off-shore have to be replaced more often because the sea basically rots them.

I think the whole green energy thing is just an ego trip for Salmond anyway. He's determined to be the first to show the rest of the world how it's done which, given the size of Scotland will make hee-haw difference to global warming.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 am

Gael, I'm not the one nick named Grotbags by the Golf-Chat faithful.

Whether he should have been allowed to built it is a matter of opinion of which you, on this forum are in the clear minority.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 am

You know what they say about stick and stones super-sour?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:21 am

Well, I'd rather be sour and sad, than sad, sour and humourless Gael.

Agree with you about renewable energy. It's probably created more pollution constructing the infrastructure than it will ever save.

I'm still not convinced to the degree which humans contribute to climate change. Certainly Alex Salmonds extreme girth cant' help.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:37 am

Gael
I'm not certain of the figures but I seem to remember seeing that windpower is now nearly providing 50 % of Scotland's electricity.
You and I are of a generation that can remember the famous free electricty that the hydro eloctronic plants said they would produce in the 1950's. So I 'm not convinced that windpower alone is the be all . Wave energy seems more efficient.
I see that a new £50m investment company is being set up for renewables to work with Strathclyde Uni in Glasgow.
As power becomes scarce and expensive perhaps Billy Basic ideas will make more sense.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 am

Doon, it's not that I'm not in favour of renewables but I am concerned about how much of Scotland both on-shore and off-shore will have to be covered in order to meet these targets. Besides which, is green energy as green as we think? After all, the materials to build these turbines (including very toxic magnets) have to be sourced from somewhere ... not to mention peat bogs (carbon catchers) being drained in order to 'plant' wind turbines.

Wave power is certainly less obtrusive (although the fish might disagree!) but, ideally, I would have preferred to have seen hydro-electric power extended. However, my son informs me there aren't enough suitable locations remaining in Scotland.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Garland, you clearly haven't got a clue.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:28 am

Does anyone really care what Salmond, Trump or the nutters up in Scotland actually think anyway?

I am more than happy to let you lot go it alone whilst either removing the infrastructure we down south have paid for (power stations, railways, dockyards, telecoms, bridges, roads and all that stuff) or have you lot reimburse us for the cost of developing the pissant little country.

Then watching as you go bankrupt... oh. And I encourage Scotland to join the Euro immediately so we can have fun refusing to bail you out of that as well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 am

Talk of a huge wind farm down here on the south coast, 13 km off shore so going to be pretty visible from the coast. I dont mind the look of them so much myself though not sure how much of an impact they will really have.
We do have an awful lot of houses with solar panels down here, shame the govt is killing the incentives for people to carry on installing them. A shame but no suprise.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 am

diggers, even with the subsidies, isn't it still only the relatively well off who can afford to install them with the less well off contributing to subsidies one way or another?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:24 am

Re solar panels.
I live in a conservation area and it is surprising how many houses have had them fitted. Some houses look OK with them on others look awful. It is now a long pay back time, something like 15 years. I don't think they enhance a house if you were to sell on and I am sure that within 15 years something better will turn up.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:28 am

LJ
I enjoy your rants but you always seem to think that Scottish Independance is a given when it most certainly is not.
Most of us are quite happy to be heavily subsidised by the Southern English.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 am

gaelgowfer wrote:diggers, even with the subsidies, isn't it still only the relatively well off who can afford to install them with the less well off contributing to subsidies one way or another?

They cost about 15k and gave a 10-12% return p.a. which was very good..as long as you weren't planning on moving.
Not sure how it stacks up now but I suspect nothing like as good.
Ultimately we are meant to be encouraging people to go green and this scheme was working in that respect, was also providing employment for a growing industry.
Well done Dave for ruining it.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 am

Doon the Water wrote:Re solar panels.
I live in a conservation area and it is surprising how many houses have had them fitted. Some houses look OK with them on others look awful. It is now a long pay back time, something like 15 years. I don't think they enhance a house if you were to sell on and I am sure that within 15 years something better will turn up.

I agree Doon I think that solar panels look mostly awful...However, having paid the best part of a grand this week to fill up the oil tank I might just reconsider!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am

Doon the Water wrote:LJ
I enjoy your rants but you always seem to think that Scottish Independance is a given when it most certainly is not.
Most of us are quite happy to be heavily subsidised by the Southern English.

Hence my desire to invade! Cross Fingers
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 am

Ahhhh....but we are a bit like Afganistan. No one has ever conquered all of Scotland and those who have tried have run back home after a couple of years... eg Danes, Norwegians, Normans, Romans and the knotted hankie pastie eaters.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 am

Doon the Water wrote:Ahhhh....but we are a bit like Afganistan. No one has ever conquered all of Scotland and those who have tried have run back home after a couple of years... eg Danes, Norwegians, Normans, Romans and the knotted hankie pastie eaters.

But these days there is nothing scary about a man who wears a kilt. We all know whats underneath and lets be fair in this weather it will have shrivelled to the point of not being able to recognise it anyway.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Ahhhh....but we are a bit like Afganistan. No one has ever conquered all of Scotland and those who have tried have run back home after a couple of years... eg Danes, Norwegians, Normans, Romans and the knotted hankie pastie eaters.

There's nothing much worth conquering Doon.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 am

There's a few golf courses that I wouldn't mind having in my back yard super...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 am

BlueCoverman wrote:There's a few golf courses that I wouldn't mind having in my back yard super...

That's why we nick it back Blue. Sell them all into slavery in the asia then it'll be correctly positioned as a bastion of conservatism.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 am

Yea
You and whose army!

Remember we still have the subs, well two of them anyway. One is presently off the Argentina coast, and the other one is just offshore Southend.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

Doon the Water wrote:Yea
You and whose army!

Remember we still have the subs, well two of them anyway. One is presently off the Argentina coast, and the other one is just offshore Southend.

"Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" 3461234324 And you reckon your government has the launch codes?! They're still the tail that gets wagged to our orders Doon!

It's small... It's melancholy... And it's playing just for you! "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" 3247107148
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 am

The captain told me it is the same number as his mum's Co-Op divi.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 am

While we're at it... Why is it that every american lays claim to an Irish or Scottish heritage?

Are they setting themselves up for a future benefit claim?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm

They are looking to retire to Scotland and take full advantage of the free care for the elderly.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:While we're at it... Why is it that every american lays claim to an Irish or Scottish heritage?

Stronger seed!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:08 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:While we're at it... Why is it that every american lays claim to an Irish or Scottish heritage?

Stronger seed!

Unlikely. I reckon it's either closet travestitism due to the kilts or a desire to align themselves with the Irish due to the higher quality of potato.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 am

I see the UK has been put on a watch list for downgrading by Moodys. This is clearly the fault of the scots and their pathetic attempt at a global banking sector.

So let's hide a WMD up there then take evidence of their stockpiling to the UN.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 am

Well we have to hold our hands up to the banking one!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:20 am

I expected you to say detonate rather than hide LJ "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:33 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I expected you to say detonate rather than hide LJ "Trump brands Salmond 'insane' over windfarms" 3461234324

That would be considered terrorism... the UN route would be considered a necessary invasion for the maintenance of world peace and stability in the region.

Plus we get to dig Salmond out of a basement covered in his own filth and then hang him with piano wire before nicking all the oil (well we did that already but you get the idea)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 am

Most uncharacteristic of you to take such a reasonable and considered approach LJ Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

always have to consider the legalities of such things.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 am

I see that applications by overseas students to Scottish Universities are up by over 25%.
England up by 1%
That's the rest of the world talking.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 am

Is that surprising?

You lot need new blood in some of the areas to water down the years of inbreeding in areas such as Govan.

Incidentally... I will be making a recon trip to Glasgow next week in advance of a potential 'project' in the area.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 am

Make sure you take your 'seeyou Jimmy' hat with you LJ.

Took me ages to work out what you meant by travestitism - but I am feeling particularly stupid now that I have reached 60!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am

Ah, got it now. LJ is really Mrs. Quatada!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:49 am

LJ
Glasgow City Centre is fab. Best in UK outside London

Just don't venture too far into the suburbs
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:56 am

Been to Glasgow a lot Doon... also Edinburgh. Mostly to do some things with some of the banks.... Innocent

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 am

....does that involve explosive substances.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 am

of course. risk management. lol!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down